Sticking Points 2043.8: Valentin Out for Playoffs

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2043.8: Valentin Out for Playoffs

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:19 pm

In a down year for offense, Sergio Valentin has been a huge force for the Pikemen down the stretch, posting incredible numbers in July, August, and September. However, a freak accident in the New Orleans play-in game will sideline the third baseman for the extent of the playoffs, dealing a huge blow to the Pikemen.

"Sergio's really flown under the radar," said Pikemen manager Duane Whitley. "He's played just amazing for us."

Since the All-Star Break, Valentin has been Rockville's best hitter, posting incredible numbers in every month since July: a 1.024 OPS in July, a 1.105 mark in August, and a still-outstanding .921 mark in September. The third baseman has posted a sparkling 4.2 WAR this year, almost all of it coming late in the season.

"The ball started to look like a beach ball and I was just hitting it everywhere," said Valentin, who was hitting .204 through the end of May. "I know why it happened, too, and it's because Frank took me under his wing early this season and said 'you're going to be a great hitter, but you're trying too hard.'"

Yes, Frank, as in Frank Thomas III, Little Hurt himself. Thomas said that he sees a lot of himself in Valentin, and that for that reason he has a soft spot for the third baseman.

"Listen, I got a lot of flak for being a right handed hitter being picked first overall," said Thomas. "I knew that Sergio could be one of the best righty hitters in the game if he was consistent because he has all the skills and he's so smart, so I'm not surprised to see him do so well, but I'm really pleased to have gotten a chance to work with him."

Valentin's 4.2 WAR this season is among the top twenty of all righthanded batters and is in the top 50 hitters overall this year, which makes his loss especially big for the Pikemen's second-rated offense. The Pikemen open up the Geoghegan round with home-field advantage against New Orleans.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: Sticking Points 2043.8: Valentin Out for Playoffs

Post by Lane » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:21 am

I hate that you are so good at the amateur draft.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:59 am

And yet my best player is Danny Leach, who fell basically out of the sky.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:23 am

And from the 2038 draft, no less. I figured there'd be more lumping than bumping in that class, but I guess not. Definitely the success that we see in Rockville (and YS, and others) is helped a lot by the guys like Valentin who are cheap, reliable, above-average pieces to place alongside the lucky gets like Leach.

If I had more guys like Valentin to put around guys like Tchekanov, LB would be in much better shape.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 am

Dwight Dunn's the player I'm most proud of right now. He just led the JL in walks/9 allowed and just got a little unlucky this year but he's a solid rotation guy. He was a fifth rounder.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”