Sticking Points 2043.6: Rockville Creeps Up on Division Lead

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2043.6: Rockville Creeps Up on Division Lead

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:18 pm

There are 27 games to go until the playoffs for both the New Orleans Crawdads and the Rockville Pikemen, both of whom are predicted by the Playoff Odds calculations to have a 90% chance to be in the postseason when all is said and done. But the Pikemen, basically left for dead in May, have climbed not only all the way up the ladder to become the first wild card, they're knocking on the door of the division leader, New Orleans, just a game and a half back.

"If we're going to come back we might as well come all the way back," joked superstar 2B Daniel Pepper, a 2039 first round pick. "No, seriously, it would be amazing after the start we had this year to get a first round bye this year."

Helping to lead the charge is 23 year old Matthew Reilly, Rockville's "other" first round pick in the 2039 draft. Reilly won the Rookie of the Month Award for August, and with the team seemingly moving on from Willis Roberts as Bing-de Zhao's backup, Reilly could prove to be the X factor for the Pikemen in 2043.

"I'm playing with legends and they're cheering me on," said Reilly, whose astonishing 1.045 OPS so far would rank third in the JL if he qualified (and is sixth among all BBA players with at least 200 plate appearances). "It's like a dream come true."

Danny Leach also continues his unique, historical season, on pace to lead the JL in ERA and pitching WAR and become the first BBA player in modern history to win a Steve Nebraska award.

"It's just important that I stay focused on doing my thing, and everything else falls into place," says Leach. "I love playing in Rockville and I know that they're counting on me in the dugout to do my job, and I just go and do it."

The Pikemen are currently 80-55, second in the JL Atlantic and in the first wild card position after posting a 12-24 start to the 2043 season and threatening to rebuild. Their perseverance shows that you might never be out of it as long as you've got the horses.

"We're still a great team," said staff ace Dan Cannon, now 15-5 with a 2.22 ERA on the season. "Great teams don't give up just because they're down. They give up only when you take them out."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”