Sticking Points 2043.5: Is Yun Zhang This Year's Joe Gillstrom?

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2043.5: Is Yun Zhang This Year's Joe Gillstrom?

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:15 pm

Yun Zhang didn't exactly distinguish himself as a late-season callup last year. He got one start on the last day of the season and was rolled pretty hard by Atlantic City. However, the righty has come out on fire in 2043, and on August 4, is the top rookie in either league this season in wins above replacement. His raw numbers look pretty awesome too: eight wins, a 3.47 ERA, and a team high 147.2 innings pitched despite a pitch count all year. Is this 24-year old from Taiwan the frontrunner for the 2043 Joe Gillstrom Award?"

"We're not just wondering whether or not Yun should be in the running for Joe Gillstrom, we're wondering whether he's the next Rockville pitching star," said GM Aaron Weiner. "He's definitely one of the best rookies anywhere around this year."

Zhang was Rockville's first round draft pick in 2043, 39th overall. He had come over from Taiwan in 2040 in order to play college baseball in America, and the talented young man had a very distinguished college career, going 10-2 in two college seasons and posting numbers very similar to the ones he's shown in the major leagues in 2043. Zhang has been able to get his home runs and his walks under control in 2043, and while he's not ever going to be a strikeout king, he's allowed just 25 walks to batters in 2043.

"I've always prided myself on my ability to throw strikes and work counts," said Zhang. "It hasn't been any different at this level as it was in college: keep the ball in the strike zone, keep the ball down, hit your spots. I also have a great veteran catcher in Felipe Mercado to help with that."

Zhang is old for a BBA rookie in 2043, which will mostly affect his long-term earnings. He's not likely to be a Super 2, so he'll be under the minimum until at least 2046.

"We feel like Yun is going to be a member of this ballclub for a long time," Weiner said. "We think he's a star already."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”