Sticking Points 2043.1: Rockville Claws Back to .500

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2043.1: Rockville Claws Back to .500

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:36 am

Impossibly, the Rockville Pikemen have clawed their way back from 31st in the Power Rankings all the way back to a .500 record, something which seemed impossible a month ago. Since falling to their lowest low, a 13-25 record that put them on pace for a 100-loss season, the Pikemen have gone 18-6 and now register a 15% chance to make the playoffs, back from the dead.

"We never counted ourselves out," said staff ace Arthur Dempster, having another sparkling season. "Other people might have done that, but we've been doing this far too long to really give up so early."

There were rumors that the Pikemen were going to break up the team, but the most that the team did was deal away disgruntled reliever Joaquin Romano, likely to make way for 20-year old AAA closer Luis Equivel later this season. The move seemed to shake up the team, as it happened on May 12th, just about the time the team started playing better.

"We've heard a lot of stories over the years about how the front office might break up this team, but this is a great team," said star lefty Dan Cannon, who doesn't appear to have fallen off at all at age 34 despite scouts believing he might have lost a step. "We're the sort of team that doesn't worry too much about adversity and know that we can bring this home if we just work together."

The pitching staff has been as good as ever this year, but while hitting is down everywhere in the BBA, it's especially down in Rockville. Regulars Sergio Valentin, Manuel Rivera, and Felipe Mercado (as well as reserve Willis Roberts) are all near or well below the Mendoza Line. It speaks volumes to the 2043 season that two of them are actually above replacement. The only regular who is having a truly outstanding season is DH Lorenzo Palacios, who himself is the subject of much intrigue as he's in an opt-out year.

"It doesn't have anything to do with the contract," said Palacios. "I don't know if you've heard this, but I'm a pretty good player. Last year some people were saying I'd lost something and I'm just out there showing them I haven't every day."

Even more remarkable is that the team has been doing much of this without the services of superstar infielder Daniel Pepper, who was having another strong season before going down with a high ankle sprain. Pepper is expected to recover in about a week.

"I'm feeling much better," said Pepper. "No reason for alarm. I'm gonna be okay."

The Pikemen are currently 31-31, and while they have a number of teams to climb over to get back to a wild card spot, there's obviously still fight left in the Pikemen.

"We're going to keep on keeping on," said Pepper. "That's the way we do it."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”