Sticking Points 2042.6: Dempster Signs Extension, Likely to End Career In Rockville Uniform

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2042.6: Dempster Signs Extension, Likely to End Career In Rockville Uniform

Post by aaronweiner » Sun May 24, 2020 10:53 am

Arthur Dempster is regarded as the man who started it all for the Rockville Pikemen. Before there was a Rockville dynasty, there was just Dempster, whose rookie year came all the way back in 2031 for the Carolina Kraken. Before Dan Cannon became famous on Rockville for winning three straight Steve Nebraskas, Dempster won five out of six pitcher WAR titles. The reigning strikeout king of the Johnson League and winner of eight of the last nine strikeout titles has signed an extension with the Pikemen which should take him through the 2048 season, when he will turn 39 years old, and may very well be Dempster's last contract of any sort.

"I've never played for another major league team and I never want to," said Dempster. "I hope that when this contract is up, I will continue to be a member of the Rockville Pikemen."

Dempster is currently third on the active strikeouts list, trailing only Mauro Flores (whom Dempster is expected to pass soon) and teammate Dan Cannon, and was once again amongst the leaders in wins, innings, and FIP, and while he did set a personal worst with 15 losses he also won 15 games for the ninth consecutive season.

"Arthur Dempster is the heart and soul of this team," said GM Aaron Weiner. "He was with us when we lost 90 games and he's been with us for nine straight 90-win seasons. He is as great a pitcher as you could hope to have. We're very lucky to have him back for another five seasons."

The Pikemen have handed out large deals to Dave Martin and Cannon in recent years too, which will seriously impact their cap situation for some time. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this, especially with them potentially busting the cap margin in 2044. It would not be surprising at all to see the Pikemen part ways with Lorenzo Palacios as a result of this deal.

"Lorenzo is still our DH, no matter what the cap metrics say right now," said Weiner. "He's got an option year coming up next year and we expect him to be especially motivated."

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2042.6: Dempster Signs Extension, Likely to End Career In Rockville Uniform

Post by RonCo » Sun May 24, 2020 8:24 pm

Big signing, but hard to imagine Rockville letting him go.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”