Sticking Points 2042.3: Rockville In Playoffs

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2042.3: Rockville In Playoffs

Post by aaronweiner » Tue May 19, 2020 6:31 pm

The Rockville Pikemen stumbled in their last sim, but still managed to, at worst, clinch a one-game playoff with Atlantic City, and the odds are that the Pikemen will be playing the Geoghegan Round this year. Rockville can still win the division title, but after a three-game series loss to the Brooklyn Robins, it appears the Pikemen will have to settle for a wild card, likely ending their seven year run atop the JL Atlantic Division.

"We're obviously disappointed in our record this year, but we'll be fighting for it in the playoffs," said ace starter Arthur Dempster, who was shellacked by Brooklyn in the last sim in a 16-6 loss. "We hope we still have what it takes."

The Rockville dynasty was unlikely to be eternal, as it is built around three outstanding starters who are now well into their 30s, Dempster, three-time reigning Steve Nebraska Award winner Dan Cannon, and Dave Martin. Rookie Dwight Dunn was quite solid this year, and the Pikemen do have two potential rotation starters in Danny Leach - who could be very special - and first round pick Yun Zhang, who will likely get his major league debut in the final game of the year against the Gamblers. However, the Rockville hitting has suffered this year and it remains to be seen whether the Pikemen will be able to find a way to augment their current offense.

"If we'd started out the year better, we'd be fine," said long-time Rockville slugger Lorenzo Palacios, who had a negative WAR for the Pikemen's 10-16 April. "We got off to a weirdly slow start and we've recovered, but not enough to make it all the way back."

The Pikemen still have a solid chance to finish with their eighth straight 90-win season and are definitely playing at least 163 games this year, so the year hasn't been a total calamity. Still, you can't help but think they could have done more.

"We have some issues to hammer out, but we're working on it," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "We'll give this thing another shot next year. It's what we do."

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2042.3: Rockville In Playoffs

Post by jleddy » Tue May 19, 2020 6:47 pm

Holy shit, just saw Zhang's bump! Wow.

With those three young arms, it's simply a matter of reloading -- not rebuilding -- once the Big Three are gone.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Tue May 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Charlotte seemed to have Rockville's number this season. The Cougars went 9-5 against the Pikemen this year.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Wed May 20, 2020 9:01 am

GoldenOne wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:34 pm
Charlotte seemed to have Rockville's number this season. The Cougars went 9-5 against the Pikemen this year.
Might have noticed. If I went 9-5 against Charlotte (a fairly standard result) I'd be watching the Geoghegan round.

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Wed May 20, 2020 9:03 am

jleddy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:47 pm
Holy shit, just saw Zhang's bump! Wow.

With those three young arms, it's simply a matter of reloading -- not rebuilding -- once the Big Three are gone.
That's my hope too. I have some mild hopes for Jason Hone or maybe Ricardo Mendoza being starting pitchers, too, on conversions, but they'd have to get their offspeed stuff. Also Paul Springer doesn't look bad.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”