Sticking Points 2041.6: Daniel Pepper Defies Reality

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2041.6: Daniel Pepper Defies Reality

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:51 am

We don't know if you've seen what Rockville second baseman Daniel Pepper is doing this year, but if you've been sleeping on the young second baseman, well, it's time to wake up. Since being called up in June to cover for starting shortstop Pedro Diaz while he nursed a sprained knee, Pepper has likely been been the best player in the BBA, with absurd numbers that seem to almost be unreal.

"Even I'm kinda just staring," said catcher Francisco Flores, a phenom in his own right. "How? We don't even know."

How absurd? Projected out over a 162-game season, Pepper would have 273 hits, 44 homers, 98 walks, 57 doubles, and a 1.263 OPS with a .429 average, a .507 OBP and, ahem, 13.5 WAR.

No, that wasn't a typo.

No, there's nothing wrong with your computer screen.

"Insane," said outfielder Julio Barajas. "And to think they made a big deal over me."

If Pepper keeps this sort of pace up, there's an argument to be made for him as Sawyer Silk and Joe Gillstrom, even though he didn't qualify. There's no real precedent for that, but if his numbers stay where they are, he'd end with around 6.5 WAR in half a season and will have certainly led Rockville to a division title.

"The fact that anyone's talking about me this way, well, it's just amazing to me," said Pepper. "I'm a student of the game and I work as hard as anyone to get better, but I'm humbled by this kind of talk. I'm still just learning second base. It's disarming to hear people talk about me this way."

Like other Rockville phenoms before him, Pepper is too young to legally take a drink. However, he's not too young to be doused in champagne.

"We think that Daniel, along with our other outstanding players, can maybe help lead us to a title this year," said Rockville manager Duane Whitley. "We're excited to see what we'll do in October."

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2041.6: Daniel Pepper Defies Reality

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:43 am

Come on now hes only batting .250 during day games 🤔. I think we found his kryptonite. 😁

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2041.6: Daniel Pepper Defies Reality

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:42 am

Yeah, but his 1 for 4 was a homer.

He's been hard to believe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”