Sticking Points 2040.14: Bing-de Zhao Best Rookie?

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2040.14: Bing-de Zhao Best Rookie?

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 am

Bing-de Zhao isn't going to win the Joe Gillstrom Award for the top rookie of 2040. However, there's little doubt that the second baseman was not just the best rookie for the Rockville Pikemen this year, but maybe in the BBA as well. Zhao had a spectacular 1.061 OPS for the Pikemen while playing a slightly below-average second base and dazzling audiences of all ages with a .339 batting average, indicative of his superior skill.

"If you take his numbers for a full season, Bing isn't the Gillstrom, he's the Sawyer Silk," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "He was on pace for 9 WAR. You know how many players have 9 WAR? That's right. Zero."

Zhao has always had this sort of ability. Signed for a princely sum of $16 million out of Taiwan, Zhao has been a top ten BBA prospect since the minute he arrived on American shores and this year took up second base, a position he learned just this year. Zhao isn't a great second baseman yet (though he would be a Yogi Zimmer candidate at first base) but his plate skills are astonishing.

"We think there's nothing he can't do at the plate," said Pikemen outfielder Lorenzo Palacios, himself a superstar. "I think Bing might be better than me and that's really saying something. He's amazing."

Zhao has managed to stay humble about his efforts due to a number of players on the Pikemen who have done similar things at young ages: Francisco Flores, Palacios, Julio Barajas, and others. Rockville has had a number of young phenoms and Zhao isn't even the youngest; he was called up at age 20.

"I see how many great players we have on this team and I am honored to be part of this franchise," said Zhao through a translator. "I was very excited to be called up and to be a starter so quickly is a great honor for me."

Zhao will be an integral part of Rockville's drive for a third title in six years, especially with Palacios out for the playoffs. However, the team was hoping to have both players.

"I'll be cheering Bing on from the sidelines along with my other teammates," said Palacios. "I hope he can help to pick up the slack."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”