Sticking Points 2040.2: Dan Cannon Wins Steve Nebraska

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2040.2: Dan Cannon Wins Steve Nebraska

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:32 am

At one point in the 2039 season, the fact that Rockville's superstar starting pitcher Dan Cannon was going to win the Steve Nebraska was so apparent, the league's premier pollster sent out a poll asking who would win the JL Steve Nebraska with five choices. All five were Dan Cannon. The lefty put up the best season of his career, winning 21 games, the league ERA title by over half a point, and his first Steve Nebraska award.

Cannon, who just turned 30 years old, credited the support of his teammates for the historic season.

"Whenever some of the statheads used to talk to me, they always used to say that I used to put up a higher ERA than my advanced numbers said in Atlantic City," said Cannon, whose 58.1 career wins above replacement ranks him second behind Luis Gracia among active players. "I think that was because I didn't have Arthur Dempster and Dave Martin to make sure I didn't have to overthrow and win every game."

Cannon has a point. His 21-6, 2.24 ERA season was easily the top season of any pitcher in the BBA this season. However, in the Johnson League, the #2 and #3 starters by wins above replacement? Dempster, who has three Steve Nebraskas himself, and Martin, the JL wins leader in 2037 and 2038. This sort of dominant performance is why Cannon received a huge, six year contract extension during the season and why the three pitchers make up over 45% of the team's payroll.

"We've been on the team for a long time together now, four years," said Cannon. "We play off each other. We go out to dinner together. Our wives are friends. It's this sort of perfect harmony that really makes us the group that we are and makes us so tough to beat."

Rockville has the group under contract until at least the end of next year, when Martin can opt out of his contract if he wants to, but until then, Cannon becomes the leader of the Three Amigos.

"We're competitive with each other. We all want to be the best," said Cannon. "It's that kind of drive on our team that has made our team so successful."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”