Sticking Points 2040.1: Rockville Loses In Record-Tying Sixth Straight Cartwright

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2040.1: Rockville Loses In Record-Tying Sixth Straight Cartwright

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:32 am

The Rockville Pikemen set out at the beginning of each season looking for a BBA title, and while they captured the #1 seed in the Johnson League and successfully won at least one playoff series for the sixth straight year, they were bounced in the Cartwright Cup by the eventual BBA Champion Jacksonville Hurricanes. While tying a record for the most consecutive Cartwright Cups in BBA history, the Pikemen were also disappointed to not have a shot at their third title in four years.

"Our goal every year is to bring home the trophy. That wasn't different in 2039 and it won't change in 2040," said rotation ace Arthur Dempster. "Our focus hasn't changed after six seasons."

Rockville managed to beat Las Vegas in the Doubleday round after a first round bye to tie the Hustlers' BBA record and end Matt Rectenwald's long-time reign in Vegas, but lost games 5 and 6 to the Hurricanes in the Cartwright after splitting the first two despite home field advantage.

"We're obviously disappointed that we couldn't make a better showing in the Cartwright," said Dan Cannon, who took home his first JL Steve Nebraska Award this year. "We had our chances to win but couldn't finish."

Teenage rookie sensation Julio Barajas took home the series MVP despite the loss. Barajas, who turned 19 years old during the season, had seven hits and four home runs in 17 at bats in the series.

"It hurts that we lost, especially when I played well," said Barajas. "My teammates have been through this too, and they are helping me to understand that I have to keep working this offseason no matter what happened this year or how disappointing."

The Pikemen should be primed for another playoff run despite the loss of Larry Blake in the expansion draft and the departure of long-time outfielder Yi-ke Zang, who was non-tendered after the team declined his guaranteed option.

"We're proud of the franchise we've built, and we think we have a really good chance even without some of our long-time starters," said Pikemen GM Aaron Weiner. "Our players are great. We're very happy with what we have."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”