Sticking Points 2039.4: Dempster, Cannon, Martin Finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th in Steve Nebraska

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2039.4: Dempster, Cannon, Martin Finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th in Steve Nebraska

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 am

Much has been made of the success of Rockville's top three starters this year, and while they were unable to get the job done for the first time in three seasons in the playoffs, the trio did gain acclaim as the second, third, and fourth best pitchers in the Johnson League behind San Antonio's Yrrigs Carpenter.

"We know we're a scary, powerhouse trio," said Dempster, who in finishing second has either finished first or second in the voting five times, including three awards. "It's hard to find a group that's this accomplished that's playing together and we're proud of what we've achieved."

Dempster led the JL in wins above replacement for an astonishing fifth time in six major league seasons, and won his fourth strikeout title. Cannon, on the other hand, had more traditional numbers, with a 17-7, 2.94 season that was the best of each of those marks in his career. Martin led the JL with 20 wins, and despite a late ERA fade put up excellent numbers with a 20-8, 4.02 season while setting a career high in wins above replacement.

"We have these three guys working for us every day, and it's a blessing," said pitching coach Arturo Trujillo. "I don't have to do a lot with these guys, they just take care of themselves."

The Pikemen are going to have to figure out a way to keep Cannon beyond 2039, as the lefty is due for another big payday after next season. The other two are under contract until 2041 at least, with Martin having a player option for 2042.

"We're gonna try to keep the band together," said Cannon. "Rockville's already told me that they're gonna figure out a way to pay my salary, and we'll see if they're really up for it."

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2039.4: Dempster, Cannon, Martin Finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th in Steve Nebraska

Post by jleddy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 am

Quite the formidable staff...locking up Cannon to keep the trio together would be bad news to the rest of the Johnson League.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Sticking Points 2039.4: Dempster, Cannon, Martin Finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th in Steve Nebraska

Post by recte44 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 am

I mean....that's just crazy to comprehend that three pitchers on the same staff finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Nebraska. Wow.

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:58 am

It's a good question: I wonder if that's ever happened before that three pitchers on the same team have finished in the top 5 in Steve Nebraska voting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”