Sticking Points 2038.13: Rockville On Fire

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2038.13: Rockville On Fire

Post by aaronweiner » Thu May 02, 2019 6:54 am

The winning actually began before the All-Star Break, but since sending nine players to the 2038 All-Star Game, the Rockville Pikemen have been absolutely aflame. In the days following the mid-summer classic, the Pikemen have lost just four games, amounting to a 13-4 record. If we go back BEFORE the All-Star Game, however, the Pikemen went into the break with a 7 game winning streak. That means that since June ended, Rockville has a dazzling 20-4 record to take firm control of the JL Atlantic and put themselves in the driver's seat for another first round bye and #1 seed.

"I don't remember us being this hot, but I'm sure it's happened before," said Pikemen starter Dan Cannon, who has himself been a fiery inferno this year with a 2.31 ERA. "We're cooking with gas."

A few of the Pikemen regulars have led the charge here. Mario Guerrer appears to be on a mission to make the Pikemen sorry they couldn't re-sign him, with an absurd 1.071 OPS this year. The expected quartet of Chip Puckett, Lorenzo Palacios, Manuel Marino, and Francisco Flores are humming in harmy. Long-time Pikemen Yi-ke Zang and Jin-Song Xuan, themselves free agents, are having some of their best seasons. The trio of Cannon, Arthur Dempster, and Dave Martin are all among the league leaders in WAR, and closer Fernando Marquez is clearly on a contract drive with an awesome 1.15 ERA.

"Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming with this team," said Puckett. "We have so many guys who are so good, it's almost unfair."

The Pikemen are definitely not going to lose this division (and, as GM Aaron Weiner wrote in the Media Guide, likely never were) and are currently eight games up on Mexico City for a playoff bye. Their run differential of 218 is twice that of 68-39 California. And, yes, the winning streak has put them as the #1 team in the league.

"We know we're in the playoffs, but the #1 seed matters to us," said manager Chet Rouse. "We have won both championships with a first round bye and it'll be a big help to not have to play in the Geoghegan. So we don't plan on letting up on the gas anytime soon."

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2038.13: Rockville On Fire

Post by RonCo » Thu May 02, 2019 9:11 am

Definition of juggernaut.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Thu May 02, 2019 9:16 am

Barring a team plane crash, Rockville will at the very least make it to the Cartwright Cup....probably further.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu May 02, 2019 9:40 am

The road to the Landis certainly runs through Rockville.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”