Sticking Points 2038.14: Dan Cannon, Steve Nebraska?

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2038.14: Dan Cannon, Steve Nebraska?

Post by aaronweiner » Thu May 02, 2019 6:54 am

Right now, the JL ERA leader is San Antonio's Yrrigs Carpenter, who has busted onto the scene with a fantastic season in his second year. The current #2 is Dan Cannon, who is currently leading the JL in pitcher WAR and posting a phenomenal season in his third full season in Rockville. Cannon was considered a perennial underachiever in Atlantic City because of his high ERA compared with his advanced stats, but he has been a stellar performer for Rockville and is enjoying his best season in 2038.

"I've been able to change my approach this year to try to throw more strikes, and I think it's because I've had the confidence that there's a team behind me that's going to take care of business," said Cannon, always a control artist, who is on pace for a career low in walks this season. "It's a big deal when you have an All-Star defense behind you."

Cannon's numbers are superb: an 11-3 record, a 2.31 ERA, and a 2.77 FIP, which means that Cannon would be one of the best pitchers in the league with just average fielding. Many people believe that along with Enrique Gomez' free agent signing in 2034, Cannon's arrival in 2035 was what truly sparked the Rockville dynasty.

"We were knocked a little bit for dealing for Dan because he earned so much money, and, at the time, we gave up three top prospects for him. But he fit what we wanted to do perfectly," said Pikemen GM Aaron Weiner. "He's been superb for us."

Cannon's contract is up next year, and while the team considers signing him a priority, it's possible that the lefty will go to free agency because Rockville might not be able to afford him. Many contracts for Rockville are coming due, soon, and Cannon's deal will surely be close to or above $100 million again.

"Obviously, I'd like to return to Rockville, but you only have so many years to play baseball, and you have to make sure you maximize your earnings while you can," said Cannon. "The team has told me that they really want me back in two years, though, and I'd love to stay here and try to win as many titles as I can."

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2038.14: Dan Cannon, Steve Nebraska?

Post by Ted » Thu May 02, 2019 2:19 pm

How many in a row would that be Aaron? Five? Demspter, Dempster, Gomez, Dempster, Cannon? Am I forgetting someone? Another Dempster in there or someone else?
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2038.14: Dan Cannon, Steve Nebraska?

Post by aaronweiner » Thu May 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Five is right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”