Sticking Points 2038.5: Rockville Signs Puckett, Marino to Long-term Deals, Palacios to Arbitration

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2038.5: Rockville Signs Puckett, Marino to Long-term Deals, Palacios to Arbitration

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:17 am

Chip Puckett and Manuel Marino are considered integral parts of the Rockville core. Today, both signed three year deals that may skip all of their arbitration years and creates some salary certainty for the Pikemen going forward.

"The problem with having a team of superstars is that, well, they all deserve to get paid," said Pikemen GM Aaron Weiner. "We're trying to make sure we're paying these guys what they're worth."

Puckett's deal is somewhat specialized for the young shortstop, considered one of the top shortstops in the league and just 21 years old. The team gave him two years guaranteed with an opt-out for the young shortstop, a third-year player option that will likely turn into Puckett's final arbitration season.

"My father told me that I should be careful with my first contract," said Puckett. "I felt like the team is paying me what I'm worth and has given me the option to demand more money in my final arbitration year, and that's worth plenty for both of us."

Marino did not get a player option. Injured in the playoffs, Marino opted for the certainty of a three-year deal worth over $16 million and will skip all of his arbitration years.

"My children and my grandchildren won't have to worry after this deal," said Marino. "I am very grateful to the Pikemen for giving me such a deal."

Just as important is that Lorenzo Palacios is going to arbitration. Palacios, who is a finalist for the Sawyer Silk Award and won two playoff series MVPs in Rockville's most recent run, received over $8 million. Palacios has been a superstar since nearly minute one with the team and will be just 24 years old in the 2038 season.

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”