Sticking Points 2037.7: Bob Coleman, Fifth Ace?

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2037.7: Bob Coleman, Fifth Ace?

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:53 am

Bob Coleman has been one of the better 3-4 starters in the BBA since his sparkling debut in 2033 when he finished second in the BBA in the Joe Gillstrom voting after posting a remarkable 15-8, 3.14 ERA season with a 4.5 WAR. Advanced stats showed he was better than his numbers last year, but Coleman has mostly failed to live up to that first year promise, finishing each of the following seasons with 175 innings or less. However, Coleman has been nothing short of outstanding this season, leading the team to a difficult dilemma: how do you pay five aces?

"I'm glad that I'm able to help the team, but I understand that it's going to be a tough offseason for my team," said Coleman. "Here's what I know: I've earned a raise, I'm proud of what I've done so far, and I'm expecting to get paid based on my performance."

Coleman, of course, is the team's fifth starter after Arthur Dempster, Enrique Gomez, Dan Cannon, and Dave Martin. Each of those pitchers currently makes eight figures, with Dempster due a huge raise after 2037, his last arbitration season. Gomez is likely to not be back next year unless he triggers his vesting option, which would probably make Coleman their #4 starter in HIS last arbitration season. That creates the obvious question: what do you pay a fourth starter on a team with three aces?

"Bob's a great pitcher, and we're lucky to have him," said Pikemen GM Aaron Weiner. "Right now we'll be able to afford just about everyone next year, but it's going to be very tough to make some of those decisions, especially with Bob definitely having earned a big raise."

Coleman is 51-32 in his five-year career with an ERA of 3.98, helped significantly by his 7-4, 3.00 marks this season; the latter mark leads the team. He is currently in the top ten in the JL in pitcher WAR and third in opponents OPS. Compounding Rockville's difficulty with Coleman and the pitching staff is the fact that the team may have zero starting pitching prospects in the minor leagues who will be capable of contributing any time soon.

"I'd like to do what's best for the franchise, but I also have my own career to think about," said Coleman. "It's a reflection of the progress and work I've put in that I'm having this kind of success this year and I want to be rewarded for that."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”