Sticking Points 2037.5: Delvalle, Surprise Starter, Starts Solidly

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2037.5: Delvalle, Surprise Starter, Starts Solidly

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:59 pm

If you thought you knew every player that was going to start for the Rockville Pikemen this year, think again. Felix Delvalle, last year's second round pick, was drafted out of college and was expected to come on in a hurry, but nobody expected him ready this fast. While in fact he's older than quite a few of the Rockville regulars, he's been in the organization less than one year - and was anointed the starting second baseman out of training camp this year. So far, Rockville has not been disappointed while watching the youngster post a .314 batting average with two extra-base hits in five games.

"We were really impressed with the way Felix handled himself for such a young man," said manager Chet Rouse. "He has a real drive to succeed and pushes hard to be his very best."

Putting Delvalle as the starter moved some things around: Gabriel Delgado hit the bench, Jin-song Xuan became the center fielder, and Yi-ke Zang has been the starter in right field. This has made the outfield defense stronger and while Delvalle has to be lifted for late-inning defensive work at times, the Pikemen have excellent players for that job.

"I'm really glad to be helping my team out and doing what I can for the Pikemen," said Delvalle. "It's a big deal to me to be able to accomplish so much so fast and I'm going to keep pushing hard and giving it my all for Rockville."

Last year, Delvalle didn't rise above High-A, but he was astonishing at that level: the second baseman had an absurd 3.5 WAR in 241 plate appearances. Strictly a left-handed platoon player, Delvalle will likely always need a caddy but has done fine work so far.

"We're very happy to still be developing young talent," said GM Aaron Weiner. "Felix shows that there is still opportunity for young players in our system."

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2037.5: Delvalle, Surprise Starter, Starts Solidly

Post by RonCo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Useful second rounder.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”