Sticking Points 16.2035: Three or Four Man Rotation?

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 16.2035: Three or Four Man Rotation?

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:20 pm

When the Pikemen traded for Dan Cannon earlier this year, it represented a major shift in the balance of power in the Johnson League. Cannon came on and performed admirably for the Pikemen, posting a solid 2.8 WAR in 20 starts despite a rough September. The star lefty is a lock for the playoff rotation, as are former and present Steve Nebraska winners Arthur Dempster and Enrique Gomez. Which leaves just one question: will Andre Georges make the playoff rotation, or will he be kept in reserve, just in case?

"It's one of those tough questions that we don't like having to answer, but we have to answer it," said Pikemen manager Chet Rouse. "We're not happy to have to figure this one out."

Georges' numbers surely back up his candidacy for the postseason rotation. After all, his 16-9, 3.60 ERA season was one of the best in either league. No paper tiger, Georges had a 148/41 K/BB ratio and did it despite a BABIP well above league average. The big question is whether Georges will be able to hold the ball in the ballpark against a New Orleans squad that relies heavily on lefty powerhitting.

"It's a serious question," said Georges. "As the captain, it's my responsibility to accept what I can change and what I can't change, and in this case there's a serious argument to be made. I'll surely accept whatever the coaching staff suggests."

There are some tricky questions to be answered here, too. For example: are the Pikemen going to be satisfied with anything less than five games from Dempster and Gomez? Is this good for their performance? Cannon might only get one game under this scenario unless he pitches Games 3 and 7 or 2 and 6, and do the Pikemen brass want to risk Cannon in a Game 7? Games 2 and 6 are both home games; Cannon was much better on the road.

"We'll figure it out, but it's a complicated question," said Rouse. "We're exploring all our options."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”