Sticking Points 2035.14: Cannon Improves With Pikemen

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2035.14: Cannon Improves With Pikemen

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Dan Cannon is one of those household names in Atlantic City, in part because he used to be the de facto ace of their staff, in part because he never quite lived up to his enormous expectations. Cannon posted outstanding efficiency numbers and double-digits wins five times with the Gamblers but managed to win more games than he lost just three times, and had just one 15-win season. That's why it's nice to see Cannon succeed with the Pikemen. Since coming over in trade, Cannon is 5-2 with a 3.48 ERA and 64 strikeouts in 62 innings, leading to the question: is now the time when Cannon's numbers begin to catch up to his advanced stats?

"I certainly hope so," laughed Cannon. "No, seriously, it would be nice to finally get some due for the things I've been doing."

It's not even as if Atlantic City was a bad team during Cannon's run there. From 2029-2034, the Gamblers had a winning record overall and made the playoffs three times. However, Cannon just didn't have the luck of some of his fellow starters. On the Pikemen, however, good luck seems to be going around lately.

"We think he's benefited from a pitch count," said Pikemen manager Chet Rouse. "We thought he was a little overused in Atlantic City and we don't need that from him here, and I think it's helped him relax."

Cannon, one of the league's top lefty starters, will be key for the Pikemen in the playoffs should they make it there. A lot of teams are built around strong lefty hitters, and Cannon has 30 strikeouts to just 4 walks against lefties this year.

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”