Sticking Points 2035.9: Rockville Trades for Dan Cannon

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2035.9: Rockville Trades for Dan Cannon

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:04 am

If last year's signing of Enrique Gomez signaled that the Rockville Pikemen were ready to come out of their long, deep slumber and contend, this week's trade for Dan Cannon marks the beginning of legitimate contender status for the Pikemen franchise. Cannon, who has been one of the league's most consistent long-term starters and surely one of the league's top lefty starters, was acquired from the Atlantic City Gamblers for three prospects.

"I am pleased and extremely moved by the Rockville Pikemen's investment in me and I look forward to a long and fruitful relationship," said Cannon. "This is a team that won 99 games last year and I hope to be an upgrade over their already outstanding organization."

Cannon had a 3-5 record at the time of the trade, with a 3.76 ERA and an 56/18 K/BB ratio. He has one of the largest contracts in the BBA, with four more years left on a six-year deal that will ultimately pay him a total of $108 million, including $24 million in each of the next two seasons; his big money deal made it attractive for Atlantic City, currently in last place with the third-highest payroll in the BBA, to trade him.

"We hope you realize now we're serious about taking home a Landis trophy," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "This is one of those moves that we hope solidifies our rotation for this year and the next four years at least, and he's such a great player to pair with Arthur Dempster long-term."

Some people thought that the Pikemen gave up a significant sum in this deal. The Pikemen dealt three of their top four prospects, including lefties Byung-doo Yi and Yu Vgotmael as well as Japanese righty Yoshitoshi Ota. Yi, of course, is most famous for having been traded for Frank Thomas III, while Vgotmael is a former third round pick and Ota is a former IFA signing.

"You have to give something to get something," said Weiner. "We're obviously going to miss having the depth on the farm we had, but we thought of Cannon's long-term deal as a feature, not a flaw; he's the sort of guy you can't get cheaply even if he makes a lot of money."

The Pikemen will have to make some moves before the 2036 season to make sure they stay under the cap, but the team will likely be able to do so without much of a problem. Rockville is currently 32-23 this season, tied for the lead in their division.

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2035.9: Rockville Trades for Dan Cannon

Post by scottsdale_joe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:37 am

Excellent article. I think AC made a good deal for them but this definitely ups your prospects for this year and short-term future assuming you deal with the financial implications.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”