Sticking Points 2035.6: Chapel, Jr., Joins Pikemen Staff

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2035.6: Chapel, Jr., Joins Pikemen Staff

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:58 am

Billy Chapel, Jr., face of the Rockville nee Carolina franchise, asked for a trade in 2030 at the nadir of the Pikemen's rebuilding program in order to try to pursue a second championship. He got both: Chapel was traded to Jacksonville, and the year after being dealt to the Hurricanes, the superstar righty won his second title with the Hurricanes. It would be his last. Chapel, who became the first BBA pitcher to mark 250 wins in twenty years last season and just the seventh BBA pitcher to do it overall, retired this year to become the manager of the Winston Salem Warthogs, close to the former home of the franchise and his own Charlotte, NC home.

"I was approached about this when I was traded, coming back to the organization, and I'm really pleased that I'm able to come back," said Chapel. "I hope I can help turn this team around."

The Warthogs had their worst season in quite some time last year, and while the team had considered signing former Thunder Bay manager Ricardo Estrada, once Chapel retired, his interest in the job obviously turned immediately into a hire.

"We're thrilled to have the greatest pitcher in franchise history back in the fold," said Pikemen GM Aaron Weiner. "We're glad we could give him a team that's still in North Carolina, because that's where his family lives and it's where he played so long for us."

John Ross Riles and Allen Izatt both played for the franchise for a short time, but those pitchers don't have Chapel's records. Chapel is the all-time franchise leader in wins, ERA, and winning percentage for pitchers with more than 1500 innings in the franchise. He has five of the top ten seasons by WAR for any franchise pitcher, and ranks third all time in shutouts, third in innings, and is the unapproachable leader in strikeouts (with 3271) and OPS allowed (a remarkable .637).

"It's been said that our franchise was blessed with two generational stars in Billy Chapel, Jr. and Frank Thomas III, and we agree," said Weiner. "We're very happy to finally have Billy back on the team."

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2035.6: Chapel, Jr., Joins Pikemen Staf

Post by RonCo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:01 am

It will be fun to see how Chapel grows as a manager.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:06 am

It will also be interesting to see if Rockville's original tagging of Estrada for the job will result in some other team picking him up.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:08 am

Maybe. He got autosigned and never managed a single inning for Winston-Salem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”