Sticking Points 2035.1: Dusty Rhodes Opts Out

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2035.1: Dusty Rhodes Opts Out

Post by aaronweiner » Wed May 23, 2018 6:41 am

The trade for Dusty Rhodes was never meant to be a long-term solution for the Rockville Pikemen, but his 2034 season makes it harder to hear that Rhodes is opting out of the last guaranteed year of his contract to pursue free agency. In the ultimate contract year, Rhodes had one of the best seasons of his career as the veteran first baseman won the batting title for the Pikemen and led them to the Cartwright Cup.

"It is with a heavy heart that I am opting out of the last year of my deal in order to pursue a long-term contract," said Rhodes. "The Pikemen have already told me that I am not in their plans and wish me well."

Rhodes hit .375 for the Pikemen with 16 homers and scored 101 runs while leading the team to a second-place finish in runs scored. Already 30, Rhodes is likely looking for the last long-term deal of his career.

"Obviously, it's tough news that Dusty wants to be a free agent, but we anticipated that possibility," said Pikemen GM Aaron Weiner. "We'd love to have him back, but we also have to consider the fact that some of our younger players also deserve a shot."

The two players most likely to replace Rhodes are outfielder Lorenzo Palacios, last year's first round pick, or minor league first baseman Manuel Marino, a second rounder in 2032. It is possible that both players will start next year, as Palacios might also take over in left field as his bat is highly promising.

"We're confident that we will still have a top offense without Dusty," said Weiner. "We're upgrading almost everywhere."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”