Sticking Points 2034.2: Delgado Signs For Three Years

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2034.2: Delgado Signs For Three Years

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Other than the return of FT III, nothing was more disappointing for the Pikemen than Gabriel Delgado's season. Delgado had posted a .820 OPS in 2032 and looked to be on the rise as a solid young player, but last year fell back dramatically in every category. That's why Delgado, just 24 years old, signed a three-year deal for a total of $4.5 million this week.

"I'm grateful to the Pikemen for making me a millionaire this week," said Delgado. "I know I let them down last year and I hope to make up for it over the course of the next three years."

Neither FT III nor Delgado finished at replacement level last season, and while the team was satisfied to let the 39 year old free agent DH depart, they wanted the young Delgado to stick around a lot longer.

"We're thrilled to have Gabriel sign with us long term; he knows he's capable of much better numbers and we know he's happy being financially secure. In fact, we're hoping that his financial security will help him on the field as well."

Delgado hit .244 last year in 500 at bats, a significant falloff from his previous levels, but played very strong left field defense and has solid defensive marks from scouts. He has significant holes against lefties, but the team is well aware of them and platoons him whenever possible.

"I'm spending the offseason working hard and doing my best to come back from last year," said Delgado. "I know I let the team and the fans down and I can do better."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”