Wise Kraken 38.2032: Carolina Trades Manny Vargas

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Wise Kraken 38.2032: Carolina Trades Manny Vargas

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Well, that didn't last long. With the Carolina Kraken's record flagging and Manny Vargas costing another $8 million for the rest of the season, the Kraken shipped Vargas, arguably their second-best reliever, off to Long Beach for a third base prospect. The Kraken were hoping that Vargas would solidify the bullpen both this year and next, as they had considered re-signing him to a deal past this season. However, Vargas wasn't helping out much with Carolina's 10th-place bullpen ERA. With the Kraken seemingly destined for a last-place finish, sources say that Vargas asked for a trade and the team granted his request.

"Manny Vargas is a proven professional and a quality individual whom the team will miss," said Kraken GM Aaron Weiner. "In his short stay here, he had proven to be a leader on the field and a solid member of the clubhouse."

Vargas seemed pleased to be going to Long Beach, a team that won the 2029 BBA title and has made the playoffs in each of the past three years. The Surfers are currently in first place in the Pacific Division with a 19-13 record, the opposite of Carolina's 13-19 record.

"When I was traded from Madison, Carolina told me that I would be part a solid team in 2032, and that just didn't happen," said Vargas. "I wish the franchise the best and hope that the guys I played with find success."

Vargas will be replaced in the major leagues by top Carolina reliever prospect Sean Spits. Spits, a fifth rounder from the 2029 draft, has a rocket arm and good command of two pitches. Spits was the closer for the Dodge City Gunslingers, Carolina's AAA affiliate, and had posted 6 saves with a 1.69 ERA and 15 strikeouts in 10 innings.

"Sean has nothing left to prove in the minors and so we thought it was time he got a callup," said Weiner. "He's really a very talented young man and we think the world of him."

Vargas, who was set to turn 36 in December, could hardly have been a huge part of the Kraken's rebuilding plan, but he had been one of the Kraken's best relievers to this point in the season. The prospect that the team received is unlikely to be a starter for the team, but could serve as a backup for both corners in the future.

"Roberto Rocha has real talent and a big arm at third base," Weiner said. "He also has a very similar defensive makeup to our first round draft pick, Larry Blake."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”