Wise Kraken 40.2032: How Bad Is the Kraken Offense Anyway?

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Wise Kraken 40.2032: How Bad Is the Kraken Offense Anyway?

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Let's ignore the internal numbers on the Kraken's last-place offense for just a second, and look at the raw numbers. Carolina has scored 125 runs in 32 games, marking them as just one of the two teams in the BBA who have scored less than four runs per game (Valencia, at a shocking 3.4 per game, is the other). Their 21 homers put them on a 106-homer pace, which would be the worst total in the BBA since Omaha's 99 homers in 2028 and one of the five lowest totals of all time.

And yet, it's worth noting that the Kraken aren't really last in any other category other than runs scored. They're 20 points above Phoenix in OPS. They're actually first in doubles and first in triples, putting them in a tie for sixth place in extra-base hits despite the problems with home runs. They're sixth in stolen bases. So how bad is this Kraken offense, really?

"We don't have a proven run producer, and that's the primary problem we acquired in dealing Little Hurt," said right fielder Jorge Vargas. "But are we a bad offensive team? I don't really think so."

Indeed, the biggest problem for the Kraken is an RBI man. Vargas currently leads the team with 14 RBI, which would put him on pace for just 71 RBI for the season. Six of the Kraken lineup members are on pace for at least 50 RBI, but it's blatant that the team is having trouble putting players across the plate.

"It's tough playing on an offensive squad that has these kinds of problems," said Davis Locke. "I'm used to having some guys behind me that drive in runs, but there isn't anyone on this ballclub that does it."

Eddie Macy was brought in to try to bolster the Kraken's powerhitting credentials, but most of what he's done in 13 games and 45 at bats is take the Kraken's money; Macy has a 46 OPS+ and has just 1 HR in 45 plate appearances.

"I'm still kind of in spring training, so I'm working on it," said Macy. "I'm working my way back into shape."

There have been some bright spots for the Kraken this season. Outfielder Chet Gabriel had a disastrous rookie season last year after bursting onto the scene in 2030; Gabriel has been a hallmark of consistency for the Kraken, hitting .293 with a .371 OBP and a .850 OPS so far this year. Gabriel Delgado is coming off a rough sim, but he was due: the second-year man has hit .330 this season so far with ten doubles and leads the team in runs scored. And first baseman Chris Klein is doing his job against righties, posting an .865 OPS.

"We do have some bright spots, but, overall, we need to improve," said Kraken manager Chet Rouse. "We have a good chance to do that though and I'm excited about our team's future."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”