Wise Kraken 35.2032: Gabriel Delgado Has Been Liquid Awesome

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Wise Kraken 35.2032: Gabriel Delgado Has Been Liquid Awesome

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:34 am

Gabriel Delgado shouldn't really ever be allowed to steal bases, unless it's first base. The outfielder has been fantastic this year, posting an early-season .364 batting average and nine doubles in just 77 at bats. He's also been fielding center field at a solid rate. But he's only successfully stolen 4 out of 13 attempts.

"My teammates rag on me for it, especially since they're really, really good at it," said Delgado, a native of Colombia who signed with the team in 2027. "But it's not easy stealing bases successfully in the BBA."

While they joke around with Delgado's inability to steal bases, he's quietly become the most potent offensive threat on the team. Often lauded as the heir apparent to Jorge Vargas because of their similar game, Delgado and Vargas have been living well in tandem, and are on pace to post two outstanding two-way seasons.

"I wouldn't say I'm a mentor to Gabriel, but we talk about hitting," said Vargas, 28. "We had a lot of good conversations during the World Cup, about how I mark pitchers, about how we read deliveries, and about fouling pitches off, lots of good talk."

Delgado came on strong down the stretch last year for the Kraken, and the outfielder stands to do well in arbitration in two years for the Kraken. The rangy outfielder is expected to move to left field if and when Yi-ke Zang is called up to replace him in center field, and Delgado is considered one of the best players in the league at left field. Vargas, assuming he doesn't opt out, will likely move to right.

"What's unique about all three of us is that we can play all three outfield positions," said Delgado. "We'll be able to support each other."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”