Wise Kraken 24.2032: Meech Pitches Complete Game Shutout

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Wise Kraken 24.2032: Meech Pitches Complete Game Shutout

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:53 am

Lucas Meech put up a rare feat for any pitcher, but even more rare for a member of the Carolina Kraken when he started and finished his second career major league start. The former first round pick struck out six batters, walked none, and allowed just six hits in a win over the Brooklyn Robins, for a game score of 83. The lefty was buzzing after the win.

"This is maybe the greatest moment of my life so far," said Meech, who was given a game ball signed by all of his teammates the day afterward. "To be up here just two weeks and to already have pitched a game like this, I'll remember it forever. It's what we dream of in the minor leagues.

The feat was described as rare, as all complete game shutouts are, but it's even more rare is it for the Carolina Kraken to have a pitcher have a complete game shutout. How rare?
Well, here's a hint: last season, the Kraken had zero complete games. Forget shutouts - no pitcher even completed a game! In fact, it's been two years since any pitcher threw a complete game shutout for the Kraken (Billy Chapel, Jr., of course).

"We keep our pitchers on strict pitch counts, and it's the right thing to do because we want to keep them healthy for a long time and they have young arms," said Kraken pitching coach Ed Eldridge. "We have them throw between starts and make sure they don't overexert themselves in the game. That's where injuries happen."

Meech, who is just 22, has arguably been the team's best starter this season. A lefty drafted in the first round in 2027 by Carolina out of Home Depot, the lefty was a two-time minor league All-Star and finished second in 2030 in the short-A pitcher of the year award voting, winning two championships with the Kraken's Aurora affiliate.

"I've had success at every level, but this is the highest level, and you can't do better than this as a pitcher," said Meech. "It's a dream come true."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”