Wise Kraken 25.2032: Kharlamov Comes Off DL

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Wise Kraken 25.2032: Kharlamov Comes Off DL

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:52 am

Valeri Kharlamov isn't the sort of player who likes sitting on the sidelines. A selfless individual who would do anything for the team is not the sort of player that takes kindly to collecting a paycheck while on the disabled list. So when he broke his hamate bone this offseason after being sidelined for half the season, Kharlamov, who suffered the injury in the first game of spring training, seemed devastated sitting at his locker. However, it happened so early in spring training that Kharlamov is ready to come off the DL less than a month into the season.

"Put me in coach, I'm ready to play," joked Kharlamov. "Seriously, I can't wait to get off the disabled list and back onto the field where I can do what I do."

The six-time Golden Bat Award winner at second base and five-time All Star put up solid numbers last year when he could play, posting a .814 OPS and a 1.8 WAR in just 67 games, numbers in line with the rest of his stellar career. The superstar second baseman is considered one of the best on-base threats in the BBA and a rock-solid defensive player at second base.

"We're thrilled to be getting Valeri back," said Kraken manager Chet Rouse. "He's the sort of player that makes a whole ballclub better just by being there because he plays with such composure and poise. He's been a great mentor to our young players."

Kharlamov is this year the highest-paid player in the BBA, as the Kraken signed him to an enormous contract in the 2030-2031 offseason. Next year his salary drops to $17 million per year, still good enough for the top 15. Because Kharlamov is an unique player for his two-way excellence at second base, and because the Kraken are in a rebuilding mode which drops their payroll to $50 million and possibly as low as $40 million next year WITH Kharlamov, the Kraken can afford his deal.

"The Kraken brought me in to be a centerpiece of their rebuilding effort, and they assured me I'd have a leadership role and a key voice in the organization," said Kharlamov. "It's hard to have any of those things when I can't get on the field, so I'm raring and ready to go."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”