Wise Kraken 5.1: Pump Signs Long-Term Deal

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Wise Kraken 5.1: Pump Signs Long-Term Deal

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:13 pm

Sometimes winning makes you do strange things. Christopher Pump, Jr., a Washington, DC native, has found a long-term MBWBA home just a few hundred miles south of his hometown, and with a team that's committed to extending his career and where he's found early-season success, Pump signed a long-term deal with the Kraken that could keep him in a Kraken uniform until 2026.

"I'm really pleased to say I'm going to be a member of the Carolina Kraken as long as they'll have me," said Pump. "While some people might think I took below market value for this deal, this is the team closest to Washington, DC, it's a winning ballclub with a lot of young players, and I took a little less money so that we had a better chance to win a title."

If you consider the fact that Carolina guaranteed Pump's team option for 2020, the contract rises to a potential $34 million over seven years, about an average of $5 million per year. The righty isn't quite the same pitcher as he was before his shoulder injury in 2017, but he's been one of the top fifteen starters in the Frick League in the early going and he's still a very talented player.

"Chris was talking a deal in the $15 million range when we signed him, but once we got him in here and showed him the culture and the winning spirit of this organization he quickly decided this was the place for him," said GM Aaron Weiner. "Winning is paramount to Chris and he proved that by signing this deal."

Pump, the 2013 JL Steve Nebraska Award Winner, is 106-88 in his career with a 3.49 career ERA. Pump is 2-1 this season with a 3.00 ERA, and the former workhorse has exceeded 100 pitches just once this season, his first start of the year.

"They're committed to extending my career," said Pump. "That's the kind of organization where I want to pitch."

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Wise Kraken 5.1: Pump Signs Long-Term Deal

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:33 am

aaronweiner wrote:Sometimes winning makes you do strange things.

Or the "post injury discount"!! That control.... yikes.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Like I said, I'm worried. He could easily come down with Antonio Rodriguez disease, but I really hope he won't.

At the very least he's on a WAY low pitch count and, as mentioned, has thrown as many as 100 pitches ONE time this year.

nerfHerder
Ex-GM

Post by nerfHerder » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:24 pm

aaronweiner wrote:Like I said, I'm worried. He could easily come down with Antonio Rodriguez disease, but I really hope he won't.

At the very least he's on a WAY low pitch count and, as mentioned, has thrown as many as 100 pitches ONE time this year.

Also, I kept him on a 100 pitch count when I had him. I inherited Daffy, who is the poster child for being overworked. Lesson learned.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-2044)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:33 pm

nerfHerder wrote:
aaronweiner wrote:Like I said, I'm worried. He could easily come down with Antonio Rodriguez disease, but I really hope he won't.

Also, I kept him on a 100 pitch count when I had him. I inherited Daffy, who is the poster child for being overworked. Lesson learned.
LOL, he came to mind, no doubt! He didn't have control issues per se... just was beat down altogether! Hey... I pay these guys to pitch not be some dancing nancies on the bench. Whatever happened to throwing complete game doubleheaders like back in the day?!!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”