Moderator: JimSlade

cheekimonk
BBA GM

The Bull Malarky - 1997 Special Edition - Cartwright Cup

Post by cheekimonk » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:13 am

The Bull Malarky
October 17, 1997
Hackensack, New Jersey

After a grueling Doubleday Series against the Calgary Marauders, the Bulls must have felt like it was deja vu all over again when their Cartwright Cup against the Austin Riverbats began with a one-run game decided in 11 innings and a 0 - 1 loss. But, on the road in Austin, the Bulls' bats came alive and secured a place in the Landis Memorial Series by taking the Cartwright Cup 4 games to 1.

GM Ben Teague named CF Tom Mohlerthe MVP of the series. Mohler turned in a .347 batting average with 2 home runs, 4 runs scored, and 7 RBI. The decision, however, was not an easy one as SS Rafael "Mash" Rodriguez contributed a .578 average with 1 home run, 6 runs scored, 6 RBI, and 1 stolen base. Most of Rodriguez' contribution, however, came in the deciding game (a 15-5 Bulls victory) where he went 5 for 6 at the plate with 3 runs and 2 RBI. "It was a tough decision," said Teague. "All of our players stepped up to the challenge, though, and that's the bottom line."

The Bulls now move on to the Landis Memorial Series where they will face the Baltimore Monarchs who were pressed to 7 games before defeating the Greenville Moonshiners. The Monarchs had the best record in the JL.
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

mad0die
Ex-GM

Re: The Bull Malarky - 1997 Special Edition - Cartwright Cup

Post by mad0die » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:15 am

We get steamrolled! Good luck in the LMS.

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:22 am

This one should be a heckuva series...immovable force against the unstoppable object type deal.

It'll be fun to see who wins. Good luck tonight!

lchronister
Ex-GM

Post by lchronister » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:45 am

bateague wrote:The Bulls now move on to the Landis Memorial Series where they will face the Baltimore Monarchs who were pressed to 7 games before defeating the Greenville Moonshiners. The Monarchs had the best record in the JL.
But we had the best Pythagorean record in the JL! :)

I think you have a pretty good shot against Baltimore. We were up 3-1 before completely falling apart, and your pitching seems to be even better than ours (and maybe your hitting, as well).

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:28 pm

I'll say the first CONGRATS to Hackensack who just won the title in 7 games over Baltimore. Working on the file, StatsLab and reports now.

Congrats, Ben. Heck of an impact right out of the gate for you, and honestly I was really rooting for you because to have a team without a GM win it all would have just been embarrassing.

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:57 am

recte44 wrote:I'll say the first CONGRATS to Hackensack who just won the title in 7 games over Baltimore. Working on the file, StatsLab and reports now.

Congrats, Ben. Heck of an impact right out of the gate for you, and honestly I was really rooting for you because to have a team without a GM win it all would have just been embarrassing.
Thank you, thank you!! Honestly got lucky and inherited a great team. I thought not resting my vets down the stretch would come back to bite me, but I was trying to win home field advantage. Now let's see how badly I can screw up a good thing in the offseason. :popcorn:
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

lchronister
Ex-GM

Post by lchronister » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:19 pm

Congrats, Ben! I wish I could have faced you in the championship series, but I have a feeling the outcome would have been the same.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”