Sticking Points 2058.7: Leach Heading Back to Boise

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2058.7: Leach Heading Back to Boise

Post by JimSlade » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:10 pm

Veteran starting pitcher Danny Leach thought he was going to be making his final rehab start for the AAA Dodge City Gunslingers, as he recovered from a herniated disk. Instead of tossing a few innings and heading back to Rockville, he'll be returning to the only other BBA city for which he's played. Today, the Pikemen dealt Leach to the Boise Spuds for veteran starting pitcher Logan Hill, who's been trying to get back on track at AAA, and a pair of recent 2nd-round Boise picks in rookie ball: reliever Lu-king Vein and shortstop Joe Hall.

"It wasn't easy trading Danny for a second time," said GM Jim Slade, who first moved Leach to the Spuds following the 2050 offseason for a package headed by bat-first catcher John McMuttray. "We know Danny was comfortable in Boise the first time around, and we see this as an opportunity for him to end his career with a contender."

"That's true," said Leach, as he briefly spoke to reporters between logistical calls in the Dodge City clubhouse. "Our kids were comfortable in the school district. Great community. The Spuds are a class organization. Please tell me Black Bear Diner is still in business."

Leach said he wasn't surprised by the deal. "When Rockville brought me back, there was a belief that we could make some noise, maybe steal a wildcard spot. As it turned out, it wasn't the kind of noise we expected." He chuckled. "When Slade told me he wanted me to get 1 more start at Dodge City, I had to wonder if something was cooking. I felt ready to go, but maybe he didn't want to mess with the roster. I'll always love Rockville, but Boise has felt like my home away from home."

Pikemen fans will be watching the return on this deal. The lefty Hill got off to a rocky start in Boise, as his usually low walk rate doubled. In 8 starts in AAA, he looked more like his usually reliable self. He's got an arbitration year ahead. Considering his likely $5 million arbitration number and the team option on Leach's 2059 contract, he may be a safe bet. "We're excited to see how Logan slots into our rotation and what decisions he helps us make in the year ahead, said Slade, who went on to talk about the newly acquired prospects.

The prospects are heading for Rockville's Aurora team in rookie ball. "We scouted both Vein and Hall extensively as they entered the draft. Anytime we can add a power arm to the bullpen, we've got to give that some consideration. And you guys know how much I like players who can cover multiple positions. Hall could be a plus defender at shortstop, but we feel like we can put him almost anywhere. That's a good recipe for progressing through our system."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2058.7: Leach Heading Back to Boise

Post by BaseClogger » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:52 pm

You got some useful prospects for a dead contract who can help Boise provide depth in the rotation. Easy win-win trade.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”