Sticking Points 2049.3: Danny Adkins, Diego Mendez, Bradley Oglethorpe Added to 40-Man, Expected to Play

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2049.3: Danny Adkins, Diego Mendez, Bradley Oglethorpe Added to 40-Man, Expected to Play

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:14 pm

While Rockville is shedding several players from their 40 man roster this season, a few new faces are ready to join the big club from the minor leagues. Four players in particular are likely to play significant roles next year: first baseman Danny Adkins, who will be a part-time DH and full-time Bing-de Zhao insurance, Sergio Tormes, expected to be the fifth starter, Diego Mendez, who is expected to be the righty platoon for leadoff man Po-sin Shi, and Bradley Oglethorpe, who the Pikemen will try out in spring training to fill Brian Best's part time role last year.

"We didn't precisely need to cut costs, but we're trying to upgrade at a few spots," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "'We think all of these guys are at least as good as the player they're replacing."

Adkins specifically comes in with a fair amount of buzz. A second round pick in 2046, Adkins has been outstanding at every minor league level, and never moreso than last year, when he posted one of the best seasons by any hitter in AAA, posting a OPS 50% above league average. He's fully ready to contribute and looks potentially very dangerous, especially against righties. Adkins' advent also means that both of Rockville's top two picks that year, closer Edward Johnson and Adkins, will both play roles in the big leagues.

"Danny's the reason we were able to let Colin Lee go," said Weiner. "We think Danny's as good a hitter as Colin and we're excited to see what he can do with major league pitching."

Tormes, the throw-in player in the Arthur Dempster salary dump, has actually turned himself into a bit of a player. He's been listed in the top 100 prospects two years running and appears absolutely allergic to flyballs and has allowed just 27 home runs in his entire three year minor league career, spanning 525 innings - about half a home run per nine innings. With Rockville's excellent infield defense, Tormes might excel.

"We're excited to see what Sergio can do," said Weiner. "He's a pitch to contact type of guy, but his pitches have such downward bite on them that we're giving him the first chance to join the rotation."

Mendez was a player that Rockville had targeted in the 2045 draft and acquired in the Wilson Alomar trade. He had to join the 40 man roster this year, and while he still has options the team thought he might make a solid platoon partner for Po-sin Shi. Rockville sees Mendez as possibly their starting center fielder of the future, and so they're letting him take the leap from AAA.

"Also, in 600 AA plate appearances, Mendez has a OPS 30% over league average too," said Weiner. "That's convincing enough for us."

Oglethorpe is a bit of a gamble for Rockville, as they're also letting him jump from AA and, well, he hasn't been all that good yet. The team is hoping that he's good enough to play backup catcher.

"Bradley had 16 homers and 84 walks in AA last year," said Weiner. "If he can hit the Mendoza line he'll have a nice career as a catcher. If not, we'll option him, let him get some AAA experience and find a better backup catcher - they're not too hard to find."

A few other of Rockville's top minor leaguers players were also added to the 40-man roster. Kerry Pike is expected to earn a bullpen role out of spring training. Trey Raynor is probably next man up if Tormes doesn't succeed. Top prospect Heng-zong Guan is expected to start 2049 in AAA, since he's blocked by Chip Puckett and Daniel Pepper, while Qadir bin Gamal doesn't have a lineup spot and will start in AA. Depending on how they want to manage Pucketts' innings, he could be up to start the year, but probably won't be. Third baseman Kenny Blackwell is blocked by incumbent Mike Galloway but will surely be the next man up if anything happens to the incumbent.

"We're happy that we have options," said Weiner. "There are a lot of good players in our organization who could step in if we had a problem."

https://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... am_15.html

7teen
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2049.3: Danny Adkins, Diego Mendez, Bradley Oglethorpe Added to 40-Man, Expected to Play

Post by 7teen » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:42 pm

Mendez had a hell of a season in Double-A for sure. May be the only player who has a shot at making it for you in the Wilson Alomar trade. I'm still not sold on Guan, despite the 60 potential rating
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2049.3: Danny Adkins, Diego Mendez, Bradley Oglethorpe Added to 40-Man, Expected to Play

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:47 pm

You should see what makes a 3-WAR shortstop these days.

At any rate I couldn't afford Alomar and everyone else, so I did the best I could.

He ain't Puckett though.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:53 pm

aaronweiner wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:47 pm
You should see what makes a 3-WAR shortstop these days.

At any rate I couldn't afford Alomar and everyone else, so I did the best I could.

He ain't Puckett though.
I really wish I could see a 3 WAR SS haha. It sure isn't Jorge Lugo or Joey O'Brien.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50