2058.10: Bears' Cubs - Corner Infield Prospects

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2058.10: Bears' Cubs - Corner Infield Prospects

Post by BaseClogger » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:58 pm

4/15/2058

In this edition of the 2058 Bears’ Cubs series I’ll focus on players who profile primarily as corner infielders. This is no longer a weak position group for us thanks to the bin Haroun discovery and some development from the top guys on last year’s list.

I’ve realized I never defined my grading scale so going to do that quickly here. “A” prospects are can’t miss top prospects who look like future stars. They’re probably top 25 or so prospects in the game. “B” prospects are very likely to be future regulars. These guys will make up the back half of the top 100 or just beyond it. They don’t have the ceilings of “A” prospects or have a flaw. “C” prospects are the lifeblood of a farm system. They could be regular players but there is still some uncertainty around that. I often see this level of prospect described in trade negotiations as “give me a guy who definitely can make the BBA”. “D” prospects have a ceiling they’re unlikely to hit or have flaws in their game but still have a tool that could carry them to the show or are high floor with a low ceiling. Honorable mentions are players you value in your org as guys who could bump their way into being legitimate prospects or are grinding away with strong production for their age and level.

A
None

B
B+ Harith bin Haroun

C
C+ José Pérez
C Awdia Iman
C- Ralph Halvorsen

D
D+ Jesús Reyes
D+ Cristóbal Cruz

Honorable Mention
Jaun Balderas
Pablo Boulay

Harith “Griz” bin Haroun was an international scouting discovery out of Kuwait last November. He was originally scouted as a left fielder but I’ve already moved him to first base where he should be okay. Despite the game treating him as an 80 overall potential and the #14 prospect in the Brewster I’ve got him as a B+ because he’s still so underdeveloped, limited defensively, and has a 4 Avoid K’s potential rating.

Jose Perez improves from a C- prospect last year to a C+ now thanks to bumping a point in contact and hitting the crap out of the ball in 2057-- .331/.408/.543 in AA and .339/.437/.543 in AAA, all as a young 21 year-old. The defense is still questionable so he spent a little time at first base in the spring. He’s going to need to bump another point somewhere to play first or improve at the hot corner but he’s great depth to be sitting on in AAA. Iman was drafted as a supplemental 2nd rounder last year and played well in his first taste of pro ball. He’s got a nice contact-oriented approach but the 19 year-old needs to improve defensively or bump another notch offensively to be an everyday guy in the BBA. Halvorsen is AAA depth and as a 25 year-old should be appearing on this list for the final time. Still, you can do a lot worse than 7-7-9 as his primary ratings vs right-handed pitching at first base.

Reyes is a borderline C- thanks to 7 contact potential and the tools to play third base. He’s still just 18 so we’ll keep an eye on him. Cruz improves from a D to a D+ after hitting .323/.410/.561 in A ball and .313/.393/.518 in AA last season as a 21 year-old. The scouts don’t see a ton of room for growth and he’s a first baseman only which keeps him from moving up into the Cs.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Return to “San Fernando Bears”