2058.06: Rummaging Bears - Outfielders

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2058.06: Rummaging Bears - Outfielders

Post by BaseClogger » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:46 am

2/25/2058

As they rummage a campsite some Bears find picnic baskets while others are shooed away.

Sure-Fire Locks
LF Leffrey Smith, RF Tommy Harrison, DH Don Moore

Michael Schultz will be the primary first baseman which opens left field for future Hall of Famer Jeffrey Smith. The Bears are counting on Smith patrolling left field most days despite the fact he hasn’t played the field at all since 2052. It’s risky but if he can just be a -5 ZR defender he’ll be an upgrade over Schultz’s defensive performance last season. Harrison had a breakout season as a 22 year-old by batting .346/.397/.601. We can’t imagine he has much more upside than that so just repeating that performance would work for us. Don Moore has steadily improved each year with the Bears and will look to finally clear the 30 home run/.900 OPS hurdle.

Near Locks
CF Kei-thing Law, LF Tynan Rose, CF Miguel Montero

Law was sub-replacement level in 2057 so I hesitate to call him a lock. He’s also ripe for service time manipulation with exactly five years of major league service, not that he’s earned that consideration with his play. I didn’t see any free agents who would be a clear upgrade and his competition is weak so I expect he’s going to play a lot against righties again. At minimum, I have faith he can play better defense and get that ZR into the positive. Rose had a .817 OPS and served his purpose as a southpaw masher in relief of Harrison. His weak defense is the only reason to consider a change. And lastly we have Montero, who had a perfectly cromulent rookie season as a 24 year-old. He hit .258/.311/.358 and had a positive ZR in center field on his way to 0.7 WAR in about 300 PAs. I’m hoping one of Law or Montero takes a step forward this season.

Trying to Break-In
CF Nicolo Penni, CF Lorenz Spee, CF Gin-fan Koh

This is the competition for Law/Montero in center field. Penni was a Rule 5 draft pick who already lumped from 9 to 8 range and is now 95% chance to be returned to Charm City. Lorenz Spee was a recent comp pick whose played well in the minors but I think needs a little more seasoning (and a chance to bump to 6 contact). Gin-fan Koh was added to the 40-man roster because I could easily imagine a team like Twin Cities taking him in the Rule 5 draft. He hasn’t played above A ball and isn’t realistically in contention for the Opening Day roster.

Breaking in the Back Door
CF Cevdet Turkes, LF Miguel Rodríguez, LF Carl McIndoe, RF Vio Gal

I’ve had Turkes in my system for a long time. He’s never hit well enough to play everyday in the minors but that part of his game has slowly progressed and he’s a good defender, excellent in the corners and passable in center field. The 33 year-old Rodriguez is your standard non-roster invitee to Spring camp fodder. McIndoe and Gal both have major league contracts which means they can’t participate in Spring games without being exposed to waivers if they don’t make the club. McIndoe’s hit for high batting averages at times but is otherwise lacking in other skills. He’s mediocre defensively and has bad makeup. The left-handed Gal has 10 power and not much else to go with it. I’m certain he’ll end up swatting 30 home runs for somebody in the BBA someday but right now his value to me is an insurance policy in case Harrison or Moore get hurt.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Return to “San Fernando Bears”