2055.08: Significant Transactions Review

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2055.08: Significant Transactions Review

Post by BaseClogger » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:28 pm

9/15/2055

Below is a summary of the significant roster transactions that occurred for the San Fernando Bears during the 2055 season.

Waiver Claims

3B Murray Healey was claimed off waivers from Charm City.

SS Kevin Corbett was claimed off waivers from Louisville.

RP Chris Lacey was claimed off waivers from Yellow Springs.

As I recall, Murray Healey’s signing was the result of Charm City having multiple offers out during the same offseason FA sim and due to this his $4M salary made him the casualty of a roster crunch. He’s been a nice addition for me, slashing .251/.354/.411 helping to backfill departed 3B Tsuyoshi Kobayashi.

I’m quite intrigued by Kevin Corbett. The 26 year-old shortstop plays pretty good defense at the in-demand position (-0.3 ZR in 54 starts) and while he possesses no power he’s managed to slash .261/.310/.322. If he could maintain his 0.6 WAR production over a full season of starts he’s a reasonable BBA starting shortstop.

Promotions

Purchased the contract of 1B Naoaki Kurioka from Triple A Brooks.

Purchased the contract of LF Tynan Rose from Triple A Brooks.

Purchased the contract of 2B Carl McIndoe from Triple A Brooks.

I have to give Chad credit for ranking Kurioka as my #4 prospect during the offseason (he quickly revised it to #6) while I kept him off my top 25 list. His bat bounced back strong this season, slashing .329/.435/.535 in AAA and so far since being called up batting .353/.390/.632 over 77 PAs in the Brewster. He’s fulfilling his destiny as a short-side platoon guy at 1B.

Same story with Tynan Rose: Chad had him in his top 10 while I only ranked him #16. He also had to bounce back from a disappointing 2054 to hit .310/.371/.507 in AAA and he’s now a short-side platoon guy on the Bears. He’s already swatted 7 HRs in just 60 ABs.

On the other hand, Carl McIndoe is an over-achiever I’ve been holding in higher esteem than I imagine my BBA compatriots would have after just glancing at his ratings. He must have a high-6 contact rating that plays up, allowing him to hit at over .300 each of the last two seasons in the minors, capping it off with a .347/.406/.625 AAA season to earn his promotion. I’ll mix-and-match his mediocre defense across the outfield and 2B against LHP. In a small sample he’s already batting .326 for the Bears.

Trades

Traded 29-year old 3B Tsuyoshi Kobayashi (retaining 50%) to the Sacramento Mad Popes, getting 34-year old 3B Ron Ritchie, 17-year old RHP António García, and 23-year old C Ziaul-Haq bin Dhul Fiqar in return.

Traded 27-year old RHP Tommy Baird to the Chicago Black Sox, getting $100,000 in cash in return.

Traded 31-year old RHP Kinzo Iwamoto and 21-year old minor league LHP Bart Crews to the Boise Spuds, getting 21-year old minor league SS José Villa in return.

Traded 37-year old LHP Tiernan O'Macken (retaining 20%) to the Phoenix Talons, getting 17-year old RHP Akarkkara Joshi in return.

I got what I could for some of my expiring contracts.

It's the end of an era with Tommy Baird in San Fernando. He was one of the team's brightest looking pitchers when I took over, but he hasn't been able to replicate the magic of his rookie season. He accrued decent WAR totals but I never had the infield defense to support him.

I may have made a mistake offering to retain some of O’Macken’s contract since he has a vesting option for 2056 I may now be forced to help fund.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Return to “San Fernando Bears”