2054.5: Bearing Fruit - San Fernando's Top Five Picks

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2054.5: Bearing Fruit - San Fernando's Top Five Picks

Post by BaseClogger » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:24 pm

I once again emphasized position prospects in this year's draft. I probably can't afford to do that again next year, but my system remains weighted towards pitching. Admittedly, those pitching prospects are mostly in the upper minors at this point and I'm very thin at the lower levels. But the talent around the league is skewed towards older position players and younger pitchers, so my thought process remains focused on harvesting the next generation of Bears position players. I also wanted to get a different mix by emphasizing defense.

1-13th SS Frank Jardine
My list had 1B Dan 'Tangles' Wilkinson at the top of it right up until my pick when I made a last minute switch to target Jardine. I ultimately decided I took too many plodding power hitters without a position the last couple of years, and the aging league seems to offer plenty of 1B. I viewed Jardine's bat as only a notch below Wilkinson's, while also offering the flexibility of putting Jardine in either the infield or the outfield. I'm actually leaning towards giving Jardine a try in CF first to see how he takes to the outfield. We like his mix of high upside bat, defensive flexibility, and strong work ethic. It didn't hurt his asking price was moderate either.

2-11th 2B Takeichi Suzuki
I regret the Suzuki selection a little bit seeing as how many 2B I still have on my board and another is listed below. Suzuki doesn't have the loud tools usually prefered in the second round, but what we can say for him is that he has a well-rounded offensive game and looks like an above-average defender for the keystone. He hit well--including for a fair amount of power--in his one college season. I like that he bats left-handed too.

3-11th SS John McLeod
John McLeod isn't my favorite pick either but at least he plays a legitimate SS. Maybe his arm slides him over to 2B eventually, but like most prospects it will come down to his offense. The intangibles are lacking and his statistical performance has been weak outside of his sophomore college season when he slashed .353/.461/.525--that's the player we'll pine for.

4-11th C Takanobu Sakuma
This draft class was seemingly littered with mediocre catching prospects, and Sakuma is the one I took home. Sakuma has an 8 catching ability and 6 power potential. I honestly don't look at him too far past that. The strikeouts will be a problem but if he can make contact the peripherals will be there, as evidenced by hitting .223/.354/.405 in his one college season. A rare switch-hitting catcher.

5-11th 2B Yong-hun Kim
Yong-hun Kim is only a 35 POT and there were still 40 POT players available, but we think Kim gives us a good foil to our normal drafting tendencies. Kim is a fairly strong defender at 2B with a contact-oriented approach, demonstrated by his 6 CON potential and 9 AVK potential. His senior year of high school he hit .405/.455/.565 and he didn't slow down in college, batting .362/.455/.696 as a freshman and .267/.362/.473 as a sophomore. That hints at more power than the scouts think. He's dealt with a lot of injuries so that will be his biggest buggaboo going forward.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: 2054.5: Bearing Fruit - San Fernando's Top Five Picks

Post by trmmilwwi » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:38 pm

I was thinking about taking Wilkinson also. He'll likely be a bumper just to make me mad.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:01 pm

Drafting up the middle(C/2B/SS/CF) along with starting pitching is always a good route to take. Those are usually the most expensive positions to fill via trade or free agency. So, if you have them covered with cheap 0-6 players, you can usually pick up bargains on the corners and in the pen. This should give you enough left over money to splurge on a star player or two.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

neugey
BBA GM

Post by neugey » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:59 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:24 pm
This draft class was seemingly littered with mediocre catching prospects, and Sakuma is the one I took home.
I can't believe how many catchers were taken in this draft. Oddly enough I had some solid catchers in the IC so I decided not take any, unless I take a flier on someone real late.

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:18 pm

neugey wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:59 pm
BaseClogger wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:24 pm
This draft class was seemingly littered with mediocre catching prospects, and Sakuma is the one I took home.
I can't believe how many catchers were taken in this draft. Oddly enough I had some solid catchers in the IC so I decided not take any, unless I take a flier on someone real late.
I’ve had to proactively release catchers the last couple years at the same level of like 1B and DHs. We seem to have a lot of 30-35 POT catchers available.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “San Fernando Bears”