2054.3: Bear Addings and Droppings - Offseason Review

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2054.3: Bear Addings and Droppings - Offseason Review

Post by BaseClogger » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:30 pm

A summary of all the major transactions the San Fernando Bears made during the 2053-2054 offseason.

TRADES

SFB traded CF Arvin Duggan and P Ed Audet to CCJ for 2B Rodger Rutherford, LF Tynan Rose, and P Jov 'Mad Hatter' Trachuk. I've had previous discussions with the Jimmies about Duggan, a solid everyday CF who was in demand due to the lack of options on the free agent market. I want to be competitive enough in 2054, but the opportunity to shed Duggan's $13M salary, recycle it into some new free agents, and add a couple prospects along the way was too tempting. Negotiations took a little while because I'm not head-over-heels for Rutherford or Rose, both of whom might be tweeners defensively. On the bright side, both hit a ton as young players in AAA in 2053. I'm lacking in 22 year-old legit position player prospects so I figured I'd add them to the fold. Audet has a starting pitcher's mix but only 4 stamina. He's a candidate to exemplify the recent discord discussion of stamina being overrated. Trachuk was dominant last year in A ball and was added to the trade to help balance out Audet's addition.

SFB traded P António Cruz and P Ilhan Suker to EDM for 1B Randy Hargrove. I was bummed to give up Cruz, who had a 4.15 FIP as a 21 year-old in my bullpen my first season in the Brewster. He's been effective in AAA but I have a glut of SP prospects at that level. I did not consider Suker a prospect. Hargrove has hit every year and looks BBA ready at 22. After not having a single position player come up from my farm system the last three seasons, it's nice to have another guy on the cusp.

RULE 5 DRAFT

P Bronson Beaton from SAC. I'm going to continue to struggle in this league if I keep prioritizing players like Beaton. He looks good for an offline sim, but in the Brewster he probably just doesn't have enough stuff. I still think I'll end up returning him, but for now he's my low leverage long reliever. He's had more than 4 WAR each of the last two years in A ball. I wish SAC had been more aggressive with his promotions to see what we have, but maybe that was their strategy to shield him from Rule 5 attention?

P Michel Gautier from CGY. I needed a LH reliever, this was cheaper than signing a free agent, and I think Guatier can be effective in the BBA.

Two other players were already returned.

FREE AGENTS

Signed CF Po-sin Shi for 1/$7M. I think I should have signed Shi for a couple million less, but I needed a replacement for Duggan and I wanted a lefty who could play strong defense. I think the 37 year-old can still ball.

Signed RF Ramón 'Waco' Pagán for 1/$4.5M. Likely a small overpay, but the 37 year-old has had a great career and should still be useful on the short side of a platoon.

Signed LF Scotty Beemeup for 3/$10M. Oops, this guy should have been signed for close to league minimum in March. I had offers in on too many outfielders. At least there is a team option on the end.

Signed 3B Virginia 'In The' Rain for 3/$11.5M. Meet Virginia, my new 3B. I fawned over his ratings and see that he's been pretty effective in his limited BBA time. Another overpay on my part *womp womp*. Again, at least the final year is a team option.

Signed SS Jeremy Webb for 3/$16.5M. This one's not an overpay I think. Webb should be a solid everyday SS who can play much better defense than what I've put out there the last three years.

Signed P Juan 'Dozer' Martínez for 2/$3.5M. I wanted a steady veteran to add to my pen. Martinez will be my primary setup guy.

Signed P Amayas Moelling for 1/$1M. Finally, a good bargain buy on my part. Even at 35, he's been a steady rotation member. He's popular too.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: 2054.3: Bear Addings and Droppings - Offseason Review

Post by Dington » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:34 pm

Ha. Bear droppings.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:19 pm

Haha. Good title!
ImageImageImageImageImage

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:49 am

Love the title! This was a great read, good easy formatting. I like it!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “San Fernando Bears”