Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2053.4: Finding my Bearings – Midseason Review of Pitching

Post by BaseClogger » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:38 pm

Stats as of 7/21/2053

Team ERA/FIP/xFIP: 4.98/4.64/4.73
League Avg: 4.50

San Fernando’s starting rotation is full of low ceiling fourth or fifth starter types. Their xFIPs look like this: 4.73, 4.88, 4.89, 4.98, and 5.54. Not really bad enough to waive or demote but not guys I want to build into the future with either. Expensive free agent signing Shea Valance has been the de facto ace and will hopefully make small improvement. The most disappointing has been Zach Davis, a 25 year-old who I thought was starting to put things together in 2052 when he had a 4.30 ERA. His decline to only 6 MOV is going to cause struggles in my ballpark. Tommy Baird is getting one last go of it—even though he is only 25 years old himself—and his 11 MOV doesn’t seem like its enough to outweigh only 6 STU.

The bullpen is kind of a similar story; nobody is pitching their way to a demotion, as basically every pitcher has an xFIP between 4 and 5. I seem to be decent at identifying pitchers who can survive in my ballpark on the cheap, but I’m also lacking in high upside pitching. I’ve used Ramon Gonzalez as a stopper and he continues to give up too many HRs and not rack up as many Ks as I would assume his 11 STU ought to. Kinzo Iwamoto holds his closer role thanks to smoke and mirrors keeping his ERA two runs below his FIP.

The only changes from the pitching staff my Bears broke camp with were a result of injuries to Dan Small and Stan Cyr. Those free agent acquisitions… did not play well before getting hurt. Small was supposed to be my ace but had a 7.36 ERA. Hopefully it can be explained away as BABIP luck. Cyr didn’t live up to his “Nasty Boy” nickname and had a 6.92 ERA with only 7Ks in 13IP. I won’t have Small back until the early months of the 2054 season. Both pitchers are getting long in the tooth and have significant salary commitments remaining. Not ideal.

A .312 team BABIP indicates perhaps some bad luck but more importantly needed emphasis on team defense.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: 2053.4: Finding my Bearings – Midseason Review of Pitching

Post by Trebro » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:34 pm

I'd really like to improve my defense too but good lord my prospects have hands of stone. even the ones who should profile better.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “San Fernando Bears”