2053.2: Bearing Fruit – San Fernando Drafts Six Times in First 89 Picks

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2053.2: Bearing Fruit – San Fernando Drafts Six Times in First 89 Picks

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:37 pm

Thanks to a couple of free agent compensation picks, as well as my failure to sign my second round pick from last year’s draft, the Bears were able to take six players in the first 89 picks of the 2053 amateur draft. From this perspective, it was unfortunate this year’s draft was so shallow, but my mindset has always been that means the same thing to each team so I’d still prefer having first pick of the litter. Unless next year’s draft is much more talented, it should still favor me.

My farm system is extremely unbalanced towards pitching prospects, so I entered the draft planning to make a concerted effort to focus on position players. Once I saw some of the top pitchers go off the board ahead of me, it was all hitters until my 14th round pick, by which point all that was left was 20 POT fodder. My first nine picks came from a list I actually spent a fair amount of time preparing before turning things over to autopick, but I’ll focus on those first six players below.

1-10th 3B Jose Perez

Perez was a top target for me because I covet power. His 6/7/7/9/5 POT was one of the best non-first basemen bats in the draft. He rounds out his game with a plus-plus arm and good makeup. I’m hopeful his 5 error rating doesn’t hold him back from utilizing that arm from the hot corner. Having recently turned 17, it will be a long road to the Brewster for Perez.

1S-38th CF Marcos Pepper

A 16 year-old 40 POT with a well-rounded game, Pepper’s calling card is his 8 POT gap power. He’s just fast enough and strong enough defensively to play a mediocre CF, but with his fairly weak arm LF will be the only corner outfield spot where I expect him to see any action. Pepper has excellent makeup—high leader and work ethic, low greed.

2-50th CF Miguel Montero

Another 40 POT center fielder, Montero differs from Pepper because he is already a 30 OVR and 20 years old. Montero looked like a first round talent by the end of his sophomore season in college, but a very disappointing junior year allowed me to pick him up in the second round. Like Pepper, he has a well-rounded offensive game, with 8 avoid K’s as his calling card. His speed, range, and throwing arm are held back by his proneness to errors, but Montero is a more natural athlete in CF. I expect him to start in short season A ball.

2S-75th C Juan Suarez

Juan Suarez looks like the best value pick I made this year. A 45 POT catcher, the 17 year-old Suarez is solid defensively and actually has a good offensive profile if you ignore his 4 POT avoid K’s. Where he’ll need to focus his development is his current 3 contact, as such low contact/avoid K’s ratings are a recipe for a batting average below the Mendoza line. Suarez’s poor makeup are likely what caused him to fall here.

2S-78th 2B Brock Ramsey

At only 35 POT overall, Brock Ramsey will rely on his high loyalty and work ethic to try and boost his ratings. His defense will likely be pedestrian at 2B and he won’t be able to play anywhere else on the diamond defensively. The 16 year-old’s 6/7/4/5/6 offensive profile are what drew me to him.

3-89th CF Dallas Sly

Another 35 POT high schooler, Dallas Sly has enough in his scouting report to allow him to live up to such a badass name. Sly won’t hit homers, but his 5/6/2/4/8 offensive POT are otherwise solid, especially for an up-the-middle player. Speaking of defense, Sly will almost certainly play CF if he reaches the Brewster.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Re: 2053.2: Bearing Fruit – San Fernando Drafts Six Times in First 89 Picks

Post by chicoruiz » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:18 am

I always think that some year I’d like to scout nothing but the hitters in a draft, then the next year scout nothing but pitchers. You’d get more in-depth scouting done that way. Looks like that’s pretty much what you did this year.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: 2053.2: Bearing Fruit – San Fernando Drafts Six Times in First 89 Picks

Post by Trebro » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:26 pm

Definitely had a few of those picks on my radar. Hope they work out for you!
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “San Fernando Bears”