2053.1: The Bears' Necessities - Offseason Additions

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2053.1: The Bears' Necessities - Offseason Additions

Post by BaseClogger » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:06 pm

The 2053 San Fernando Bears feature eight offseason acquisitions on their Opening Day roster. A bigger budget as a result of increased attendance in 2052 and changes to league finances motivated the Bears to be active in the free agent market. A lack of prospects (offensively in particular) as well as the deep free agent class kept the Bears away from the trade market.

SP Dan Small (5 years, $52M) - Folks who have been around the Brewster are familiar with Small. The Bears prioritized finding a reliable frontline starting pitcher first this past offseason, and its hard to imagine a better candidate than Small. Small has averaged 175 innings of 3.60 ERA over the course of his career. The fifth year of the contract is a player option, and there is an opt-out after year two.

SP Shea Valance (6 years, $54M) - After securing Small, the Bears wanted to roll the dice on a more high upside play with their second splurge in the starting pitching market. Valance was an ace in the GBC for years but is still just 27 years old. The Bears hope his Stuff bumps to 9 before his contract ends and he surprises a league unfamiliar with his five pitch mix. Valance has an opt-out midway thru his contract, and the final year is a team option with a $2M buyout.

CF Arvin Duggan (3 years, $36M) - Duggan was the final player in San Fernando's 2053 offseason spending spree. The team offered these terms months before Duggan finally accepted. The Bears expect Duggan to offer defense-oriented league average production that allows them to limit the amount of starts Wasim Ala has to take in CF. The third year of the contract is a team option with a $3M buyout.

SP Stan Cyr (3 years, $15M) - Thank you Cyr, may I have another! Stan Cyr is a BBA veteran who has strugged to keep his ERA below 5.00 recently despite above average FIPs. San Fernando hopes he can act as a swing-man who keeps them competitive when he starts and has the potential to be a setup guy in their bullpen. The third year of the contract is a team option with a $1M buyout.

SS Jonathon O'Reilly (2 years, $6.5M) - The Bears checked in on dozens of free agent middle infielders before finally settling on O'Reilly. The veteran middle infielder met the team's requirements, which were that he bat RH and be capable defensively at shortstop. Hopefully his 55 OVR rating keeps him above replacement level in his platoon role on the San Fernando bench. The second year of the contract is a team option with a $1M buyout.

C Reggie Leeper (2 years, $5.5M) - Leeper replaces Quinton Lara as the LH hitting side of their platoon at catcher. The front office expects Leeper to hit moderately well, handle the pitching staff, and feature a stronger throwing arm than Lara. The second year of the contract is a team option with a $1M buyout.

SP Benno Steenveld (1 year, $2.5M) - It would not surprise GM Kurt Imber if Steenveld ends up being the best FA contract he handed out this past offseason. Still just 26 years old, Steenveld excelled to a 2.74 ERA in the GBC in 2052. The only knocks on the well-rounded starter are his 6 stamina and three-pitch arsenal.

RP Edwin Harney (2 years, $3.5M) - San Fernando targeted Harney as a RP conversion candidate after they filled their rotation with the players listed above. Harney was effective as a reliever/swing-man in the BBA last season after spending years in the GBC as a mid-rotation starting pitcher. The bullpen hopes he can act as a bridge from their starting staff to their stopper/closer. The second year of the contract is a team option with a $500K buyout.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: 2053.1: The Bears' Necessities - Offseason Additions

Post by recte44 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:35 pm

That is quite the haul!!

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:18 pm

I tried for Valance because I'd had him as a young pup back when I ran Tripoli in the UMEBA (RIP). Hope he works out for you.

And yes, that is quite a haul.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:40 pm

I gave O'Reilly a looong look. As I've noted I just didn't pull the trigger enough times and now I will likely burn money, which galls me. Won't make that mistake again.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:48 pm

Trebro wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:40 pm
I gave O'Reilly a looong look. As I've noted I just didn't pull the trigger enough times and now I will likely burn money, which galls me. Won't make that mistake again.
I wasn’t a huge fan tbh but was starting to get worried I’d come up empty handed. Not expecting to exercise his option if you want him in 2054!
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:52 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:48 pm
Trebro wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:40 pm
I wasn’t a huge fan tbh but was starting to get worried I’d come up empty handed. Not expecting to exercise his option if you want him in 2054!
Oh no, Thum is going to make sure I don't get to buy anyone next year or the year after. *sigh*

I think an early "thing" for me in this league is no contracts over 3 years. Way too much cap problems. We'll see but that's my thinking.
Rob McMonigal

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:44 am

Steenveld. He is why the ratings bloat we have sucks. That guy should be a good player but he won’t be except in very specific circumstances. Being lefty helps but 8 stuff is well below average. 8 mov is ok but not great as is 7 con. That frustrates the hell out of me. He should be a good player and I predict in our environment and in your park primarily that he will be replacement level at best. If he were a righty he wouldn’t even be able to hack AAA.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:57 am

bschr682 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:44 am
Steenveld. He is why the ratings bloat we have sucks. That guy should be a good player but he won’t be except in very specific circumstances. Being lefty helps but 8 stuff is well below average. 8 mov is ok but not great as is 7 con. That frustrates the hell out of me. He should be a good player and I predict in our environment and in your park primarily that he will be replacement level at best. If he were a righty he wouldn’t even be able to hack AAA.
I agree. There are a ton of guys like this in the league.
ImageImageImageImageImage

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:20 pm

I liked your offseason moves!
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:18 pm

I agree with Jwalk and others on this. Should be fun when there's more separation but at same time the cap is going to mean people will have to pay outsized numbers to get/keep them which means we might have more overall Free Agent money which means slightly above average folks will want a ton too. Nothing is perfect but I think the changes will be better than current situation.
Rob McMonigal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “San Fernando Bears”