58.12- Superlatives

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

chicoruiz
BBA GM

58.12- Superlatives

Post by chicoruiz » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:21 pm

As the Gamblers wrap up another forgettable season (at least I hope it’s forgettable), let’s hand out some awards to put a shiny bow on the steaming pile of poop that was 2058:

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: It’s weird giving the MVP to a guy who hit .255 with no power, but the Gamblers pitching staff as a whole took a step forward this year, and my theory is that while overall defensive improvement played a role, a lot of the improvement was due to C Hollis O’Hara, pitch framer extraordinaire.

LEAST VALUABLE PLAYER: SS Will Patterson was supposed to be a defensive whiz. I played him in 2057, and he hit .196 and his glove was actually kind of meh... This year, after a couple of abortive attempts to replace him, I stuck him back in the lineup. Surely, I thought, he couldn't hit .196 again. He didn't...he hit .195. And his glove still wasn't all that great. He's arb-eligible, but he has a better chance of being named America's Next Top Model than he does of getting an offer from yours truly...

PITCHER OF THE YEAR: Easy pick here. Augusto Ayala posted a 1.88 ERA and saved 37 games for a team that only won 59. That’s good, isn’t it? I’m pretty sure that’s good…

PLEASANT SURPRISE: I didn’t expect much from 3B Mesrak Youssef when I acquired him in a midseason trade, but he OPSed .759 for me, logged 1.4 WAR in a third of a season, and looks to have the inside track to be the 2059 third baseman.

UNPLEASANT SURPRISE: I gave Yoriyuke Ine 3 million dollars last offseason, which is kind of a lot for a lefty reliever, and the return on my investment was a 1.60 WHIP and a 5.30 ERA. He’s under contract through 2060, so he’ll get another chance to return to the Yoriyuke that he was when he toiled for Charm City.

MINOR LEAGUE BATTER OF THE YEAR: I know it’s a small sample size, but you have to acknowledge the year Jeffery Rising had at Albany. .417/.451/.833(!)…that will work. If I had to pick a player from a full-season league it would be OF Carlos Allen, who probably wrapped up his minor league career by hitting .293 with 29 homers in AAA.

MINOR LEAGUE PITCHER OF THE YEAR: I had two former high first-round picks pitching in the minors, and they both posted ERAs of exactly 2.45. I’ll give the award to Brian Whitford of AA Trenton, who’s just about ready for the big time.

GOLD WATCH AND BEST WISHES: I hung with Ernesto Gonzalez about as long as any human being could be expected to, but he’s 38 now and coming off a negative WAR season, and the all-time doubles record seems pretty much out of reach now. I hope he finds another organization where he can continue his wonderful career, but I don’t want to have to witness another year like Ernesto’s 2058.

That’s it from Atlantic City. I’ll see the rest of you after the playoffs when free agency starts. The Gamblers will have money to spend, and lots of things to spend it on...
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: 58.12- Superlatives

Post by trmmilwwi » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:04 am

Fun lil read here. Patterson is consistent at least.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:23 am

Looks like the two guys I keep an eye on, Ober and Manuel, fell apart in the second half. Bummer.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:04 pm

2.45 sounds like ann important number.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”