58.8- Post-Draft Top 10 Prospects

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

chicoruiz
BBA GM

58.8- Post-Draft Top 10 Prospects

Post by chicoruiz » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:00 pm

I love me some lists.

I think I love making top ten prospect lists because 1) It helps me organize my thoughts. 2) It makes me feel better about the direction my franchise is heading despite another lackluster year. 3) It’s useful in identifying needs I might have down the road. 4) It’s a good excuse to reexamine all my minor leaguers and maybe find some guys I need to think more about.

There…I’ve made a list about making a list. Anyway, on to my current top ten prospects, post-draft edition.

1. P SETH WELLER (RL)- Top overall pick in this year’s draft. If he can avoid injury, I think he’s going to be good enough to pitch at the front of a rotation. But he’s very young, and a lot can happen…

2. SS JOHNNY LAZER, (RL)- Generational defensive shortstop, with a bat that may develop at least close to league average, which is all I’d need. I mean, I don't want to be greedy...

3. P BRIAN WHITFORD (AA)- #4 overall pick in 2056, has marched through the minors without missing a beat so far. I project him as a solid #2 guy with an ETA of 2060 at the latest.

4. OF CARLOS ALLEN (AAA)- After he slashed .346/.408/.587 in AA at age 19, I promoted him to AAA this year, and as of now he’s OPSing over .900 at age 20. Don’t really have a spot in the majors for him, but I may have to figure that out sooner rather than later.

5. SS JAFAR SEIF AL DIN (AA)- I had him pegged as a slick-fielding shortstop with a below average bat, but he’s hitting .318 in AA (before recently hitting the IL) so I may have to rethink him. He and Lazer would be a killer DP combo if they hit enough to keep them both in the lineup.

6. C PANCHO FERNANDEZ (AA)- Switch-hitter, good defense, career average of near .300. He’s fully developed and could possibly skip AAA entirely if I need a catcher in Atlantic City.

7. IF EDUARD FAKTOROVICH (AAA)- Steady, unspectacular infielder who could play anywhere but might best be suited as a replacement for the aging 3B Ernesto Gonzalez when he finally surrenders to Father Time.

8. P DEWEY McKIM (AAA)- My first #1 pick when I took over ATC, he’s made steady progress without ever having a bad year. Sort of a Seth Weller Lite; a lanky lefty with a widely varied arsenal of pitches. His 2058 has been merely OK, however.

9. P ROBERT CARLSON (AAA)- He’s actually outpitched McKim in AAA this year, but he’s also almost two years older, and I pay attention to that stuff. Both should be starting ML games pretty soon.

10. 1B ARCHIE JONES (A)- I had high hopes for Archie after he OPSed 1.229 in rookie ball at age 16 (!). I probably made a mistake pushing him to A-ball at age 17, but he’s surfaced this year with another big offensive season. I need to train him at another position.

FIVE MORE GUYS I CONSIDERED (in no particular order): P Glenn Williams (SA) was drafted at the top of round 2 last year; he had a nice year, so we’ll see once the SA season begins. P Kreshnik Bizi (A) went 10-0, 1.36 in rookie ball last year and is following it up with a nice single-A season. C Anastasio Simancas (A) doesn’t hit for power or draw walks, but he’s a league-average receiver who hits a whole bunch of singles. I didn’t take 1B Noel Coleman (A) seriously when he hit .333 in SA last year, but he’s hitting .380 in A this year, so I may have to start paying attention. Similarly OF Dennis Durham (A) is apparently just going to keep hitting .300 until someone notices him. Okay Dennis… I see ‘ya…

So there we are, and if you’ve made it through 600-plus words about someone else’s minor leaguers, well, God bless you. I had fun writing it, and I hope the fun will continue over the next few seasons when every one of these guys fulfils my wildest hopes for them. Right????
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: 58.8- Post-Draft Top 10 Prospects

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:28 pm

gimme da links!
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”