58.6- The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

chicoruiz
BBA GM

58.6- The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Post by chicoruiz » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:45 pm

Just a quick check-in with the Gamblers as April 2058 turns to May 2058…

THE GOOD:

Matt Hewat was moved from short to second to get better defense in the lineup, but the move seems to have revitalized his bat as well. He’s currently OPSing .922. That’s fool’s gold; nothing about him indicates that he could maintain that for an entire season, but is sure is fun while it lasts. If he could end up within 150 points of that I’d be a happy camper.

A couple of other up-the-middle positions seem to be also working out okay. Hollis O’Hara isn’t hitting much (no surprise), but the ERAs of my starting pitchers are better than they were last season, and I’m giving Hollis a lot of the credit. And Eduardo Correa is providing good defense and decent offense in center field, which is good because his platoon mate, Ed Wolochow, has yet to find his groove.

THE BAD:

The bullpen. I brought in a bunch of new arms because I was sick of everyone in my pen having ERAs in the fours. So of course, the new guys all have ERAs in the fives. Be careful what you wish for, I guess. I can’t believe at least a couple of these guys won’t right the ship. I hope…

THE UGLY:

Have I mentioned the left side of the infield? Probably not, because I throw up in my mouth whenever I think of it. Shortstop Will Patterson currently has one foot in the unemployment line; he’s OPSing .459 (!) and not really playing the stellar defense I was counting on (if I understand defensive stats). I’ll be scouring the free agent lists and trade blocks assiduously; don't buy any green bananas Will...

Third baseman Ernesto Gonzalez is a tougher call. He’s in his late ‘30s and not hitting at all, but he’s a freaking Gambler legend; probably a future Hall of Famer. Since I’m not going anywhere this year anyway, he’ll get a longer leash, as he pursues the BBA career doubles record.

So here’s to a better May for Ernesto, the bullpen, and whatever carbon-based life form I can find to play shortstop!
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

R.Umali
BBA GM

Re: 58.6- The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Post by R.Umali » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:38 am

Cool! What is the career doubles record and who holds it? Perhaps more to the point: where can I look up such records?

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Post by chicoruiz » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:39 am

The record is 810; Ernesto is sitting at 776. I used to think he’d make it, but his slow start this season has me wondering.

You can find this stuff on Stats+ under Historical/ Leaderboard-Players.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Knucklehead254
BBA GM

Post by Knucklehead254 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:39 am

Glad Correa is doing well, just couldn't seem to make him fit here. Sato is coming around as well so think the trade worked for both of us!
Aaron Wharram (356-292)
General Manager of the Vancouver Mounties!
Playoff App: 2056, 2057, 2058

Former GM of the Sydney Sharks! (22-22) (August 2054 - October 2054)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”