57.23- 19 Thoughts on 19 Players

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

chicoruiz
BBA GM

57.23- 19 Thoughts on 19 Players

Post by chicoruiz » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:42 pm

With the season winding down, I thought I’d share some quick evaluations of the Gamblers rostered players, focusing on how they fit into my 2058 outlook. Let’s start with the position players:

C SPENCER CLOUGH
- A lefty hitter with some pop. I’m fine with him as half of a platoon, but I don’t feel comfortable with him as the sole #1 guy quite yet.

C CRAIG HUGHES- After a couple of pretty good years, he laid a massive stinker in 2057. The search for his replacement will commence ASAP.

1B TYLER OBER- He’s signed for a good long time, and I’m glad he is. Solid middle-of-the-order bat and a plus glove.

1B-DH JARED DIXON- Former Rule 5 pick has had two good years as the long half of a DH platoon. Not the most flexible member of the roster, but you don’t just kick .300 hitters to the curb.

1B JAVIER MANUEL
- Just turned 24, and coming of a 28-homer season in AAA. Can field too; but he’s currently blocked off by the above two guys. Wish I could find a trade partner for him.

2b YODO SATO
- Ah, Yodo. Hits close to .300, steals bases, and turns the DP very well. I’m committed to going all-out on defense next year, though, so his poor range rating may be an issue. Could share DH with Dixon, or return to 2B if I can’t find a decent upgrade. A trade might work, too…

2B SAM KELLY- His only strong point is versatility; he can be subpar at a number of positions. Spent most of 2057 in AAA and that’s probably where he belongs.

3B ERNESTO GONZALEZ- Just passed 3000 career hits; signed for two more years, during which he’ll chase the all-time doubles record. He’d better keep going strong; there’s nothing in the minor league pipeline to replace him.

3B WILL PATTERSON- Listed as a 3B, but he’ll never hit enough to play there. I see him as my 2058 shortstop unless a better option falls from the sky.

SS MATT HEWAT- Has one more year on his contract; he may spend it as a good utility IF, or at 2B, if I can’t sign a FA there.

SS JAVIER LOPEZ
- Has no real defensive position; if he’s back next year he’ll again be the last player at the end of the bench.

LF LEE HOGAN- Probably my best player; him or Ober. Signed through 2060, which is, I think a good thing. Looking to reach 40 homers this year.

CF AURELIO DIEGUEZ- I shuffled a bunch of glove-first CF through the roster this year, hoping one would catch fire. He was… one of them. Don’t expect to see him in 2058.

CF KEVIN MYERS- Switch-hitter who showed well in a brief trial in 2056, then got hit with an ice bucket full of reality this year.

CF STEVE PICK- I had high hopes for Steve at one point, but now I’m coming around to the idea that he’s a bench bat, lacking the offense for a corner or the glove for CF.

CF ED WOLOCHOW- This coming off-season I REALLY want a center fielder who’s a plus on both offense and defense. But there aren’t many to be had, so I may fall back to Ed, who had a nice year in AAA.

RF BRONX CORTEZ- Hard to remember that he was considered my best player just a few years ago. His contract is up this year, and I predict he’ll be plying his craft in the GBC in ’58.

RF JIM REDMON- A Rule 5 pick this year who knocked Cortez out of the RF job and ended up with 2.1 WAR in only 248 PAs. On the DL for the rest of the year; rest up, Jim, we’re gonna need ya.

RF ADAM ALOMAR- Called up to the bigs recently after a nice AAA season. Could maybe be part of a RF platoon in ’58 if Redmon comes back to earth.

So as you can see, I seem to be okay at the corners, shaky up the middle. I’m hoping in the offseason I can find one or two guys for those spots, but I don’t plan on sacrificing defense. Defense is now my mantra.

In the next installment I’ll cover my pitching staff. God help me…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: 57.23- 19 Thoughts on 19 Players

Post by BaseClogger » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:47 am

Glad to see Ober playing well again.

Wanna do a trade backsies of Javier Manuel for Keith Mays??
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”