57.20- Saratoga Roadie

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

chicoruiz
BBA GM

57.20- Saratoga Roadie

Post by chicoruiz » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:18 pm

I could easily have notified the newest member of the Atlantic City Gamblers Hall of Fame by phone, but I wanted to see the surprise and joy in his face when I gave him the news in person. Plus I was tired of sitting in an office in which I could touch both side walls while sitting in my desk chair. So, after I discovered that his home was only about a four and a half hour drive from where I was, I decided…Road Trip! I left my assistant GM firm instructions to find a better office for me before I returned, and I drove happily off on my adventure.

According to our records, my quarry lived in Saratoga Springs, New York, just up I-87. I read up on the place while breakfasting at a Waffle House in Yonkers, and discovered that the town was mostly noted for its thoroughbred racing industry. That checked out; his listed address was someplace called “Cherry Ridge Farms”. So he had found a job after baseball as a groom or assistant trainer or something. Cool…

Cherry Ridge Farms turned out to be a pretty big operation; I wasn’t even sure what building to start looking for him in. I decided on one of the larger horse barns, because I could see an older gentleman mucking out on of the stalls. Could I be lucky enough to have found him right away? I could imagine how thrilled he’d be when he heard the news. I should probably make up some kind of replica plaque for him that he can hang up in his little room and impress the other stable hands.

I approached him. “Excuse me”, I said. “Honi Tinsley?”

“Yes”, said a deep voice behind me. “What can I do for you?”

I turned to see a distinguished, silver-haired gentleman in a tweed coat that probably cost more than my car. “I’m Honi Tinsley; this is my farm. Do you have some business here- we don’t encourage intruders.”

“Uh, yes sir. My name is Chico Ruiz. I’m currently the GM of the Atlantic City Gamblers.”

“Yes... I’m aware of you. I speak to a few of my old teammates on occasion, and your name has…come up." The way he said it implied to me that they weren’t talking about what a bang-up job I was doing leading their old team to a succession of 100-loss seasons.

“Well, sir, I just wanted to give you the good news that you’ve been selected to the Gamblers Hall of Fame. There will be a ceremony scheduled for Saturday, September first, and you’ll be honored before the game.”

“Hmmm… Honestly I thought I was already in the Hall of Fame. I suppose you could do this… thing without me, couldn’t you? It’s just that I’m having one of my mares bred to a champion stud that day, and I would much prefer to be present for it. You understand, I’m sure.”

Somewhat crestfallen, I assured him that we would carry on without him, and beat a hasty retreat, in the process stepping in something squishy, just to cap off the day perfectly.

So instead of making some poor stable hand’s year, I was honoring a rich guy who wasn’t even going to attend because he preferred to watch two equines have some Afternoon Delight. I brooded over dinner at the same Yonkers Waffle House, but even that was spoiled for me when I heard the lady in the next booth say to her husband, “Murray, call me crazy but I could swear something in here smells like horse shit.” And not too soon after that I was asked to leave…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 57.20- Saratoga Roadie

Post by RonCo » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:30 pm

I love it.

Caleca nominee to me!
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:36 pm

A screwing to watch some screwing!
ImageImageImageImageImage

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:19 pm

I grew up about 15 mins from Saratoga Springs. They'll actually be running the Belmont Stakes there this summer. Its the oldest racecourse in the country. Somewhere over 150 years!

Saratoga is also known for their springs.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:29 pm

GoldenOne wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:19 pm
Saratoga is also known for their springs.
Never would’ve guessed :lol:
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:04 pm

Great read!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018