57.16- Could This Odd Feeling be- Happiness?

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

chicoruiz
BBA GM

57.16- Could This Odd Feeling be- Happiness?

Post by chicoruiz » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:18 pm

As Michael Scott once said, “How the turntables have…”.

Only a few weeks ago I was lost in depression, ready to chuck it all and become a forest ranger or something. Now, every day the sun is shining, the birds are singing (or whatever that sound is that Atlantic City seagulls make), and I go tap dancing down the sidewalk as I head for another workday. What has made such a difference? Well, the three “M”s of the BBA are showing promise these days: the money, the majors and the minors. Let me elucidate:

MONEY: It looks as though I will actually finish the season with a decent profit, as the new stadium attendance bump seems to be carrying over into the second year. I’m hoping that our owner uses this money to pay our yearly installment on the new ballpark, rather than buy a golden toilet or something, but he’s been pretty understanding so far, and I have a good feeling. I’ve learned the hard way that nothing good is going to happen till you get your financial house in order, and I think I’m finally doing that.

MAJORS:
After an April and early May that you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy, the Gamblers have now posted a winning record over the last three weeks. I don’t exactly know why- law of averages? Is my new pitching coach really really good? Is new glove-only center fielder Ralph Kennedy some sort of enchanted good-luck charm?- but I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak. Who knows, we may be finally moving from “laughing stock” to “mediocre”. Ah, sweet sweet mediocrity…

MINORS: I’m beginning to think that I may actually be okay at drafting, at least in the first round. My first-round draftees since I took over the Gamblers are climbing through the system and doing quite well, thank you very much.

2053- P Dewey McKim-
The lanky lefty with the five-pitch arsenal is now in AA at age 21, and has gone 7-5 with a 3.21 era. He hasn’t had a bad season yet, and is on course for a major league debut no later than 2059.

2054- OF Carlos Allen- Carlos is laying waste to AA at the youthful age of 19. Leading the league in batting average and slugging, and amassing 3.2 WAR in half a season.

2055- IF Ed Faktorovich
- Ed is the third member of the AA contingent; he’s OPS-ing .803 at age 21. He’s on track to be a pretty good 2B option who can get you through a few games at short in an emergency.

2056- P Brian Whitford- Age 20; currently 6-4, 3.01 with a 1.14 WHIP in his first full-season experience.

2057- SS Johnny Lazer- Too early to tell, but no evidence that he won’t live up to his billing.

I know that I’m only a couple of bad weeks from falling back into the Slough of Despond, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the present. After all, as Dickens wrote in Barnaby Rudge, it’s a poor heart that never rejoices…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 57.16- Could This Odd Feeling be- Happiness?

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:15 pm

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”