Boardwalk Empire - 2038.5 - Welch Recovering

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Boardwalk Empire - 2038.5 - Welch Recovering

Post by Joshua Biddle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Welch Progressing in Recovery

Dusty 'Skid Row' Welch has continued to progress in his recovery from bone chips in his elbow, discovered subsequent to being pulled from his September 27th start versus the Las Vegas Hustlers. Welch had surgery for the issue in mid-October and is expected to have a clean bill of health well ahead of spring training.

“All good, doctors said it’s looking good” Welch said by phone during the interview he granted with the Atlantic City Times, “can’t wait to get back to it. Hated not being able to go out there and fight with these guys. The season as a whole has been frustrating between the injury and the team not being as competitive as we want, but we’re preparing for another fight next year.”

The twenty-three year old right-hander has been above average since debuting during the 2036 season with serious credentials, being named the BBA’s #62 prospect in 2034, #22 prospect in 2035, and #30 prospect in 2036. The lofty expectations haven't translated to achievement, however, as he hasn’t eclipsed or even met the expectations from scouts around baseball, leaving some to wonder if the ability is truly there. Welch’s six-pitch arsenal of a fastball, slider, curveball, changeup, splitter, and forkball contains five plus pitches, though his slider is the pitch that is most notably “off” in some of his poor starts. Welch finished the 2038 season 12-13 with a 4.46 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 4.35 FIP, .254 opponent’s average, 56.7% quality start percentage, 133 strikeouts, and a 3.0 WAR in 185 2/3 innings pitched (30 starts), which included career worsts in losses, ERA, FIP, quality start percentage, and strikeouts per 9 innings pitched. Welch’s declining numbers is believed to be a significant factor in the firing of pitching coach John Adams.

”No comment” said Welch.

No word on whether the team will retain interim pitching coach Nihat Ilahi, who worked as a consultant for the team prior to assuming the interim role. On Ilahi, Welch said, "Look, we all know Nihat was thrown in there, and I think he did a great job under the circumstances and the team had a winning record with him at the helm. I was around him a good bit when I was sidelined as I still did everything I good to be there for the team, help with anything I could behind the scenes. Very easy guy to work with. I don't make the decisions. I don't know if he even wants the full-time gig. I don't know. I just focus on what I can focus on, and that's going to be my recovery and being the best I can be entering next season."

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 2038.5 - Welch Recovering

Post by RonCo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:50 pm

At 23, there's still time.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”