Boardwalk Empire - 2036.10 - Gamblers Hire Mingo Boone as Pitching Coach of Rookie Class Albany

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Boardwalk Empire - 2036.10 - Gamblers Hire Mingo Boone as Pitching Coach of Rookie Class Albany

Post by Joshua Biddle » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:03 am

Gamblers, Sánchez Hire Mingo Boone as Pitching Coach of Rookie League Albany

The Atlantic City Gamblers formally announced the hiring of former BBA pitcher Mingo Boone as pitching coach of Rookie League Albany, reuniting Boone with newly appointed Albany manager António Sánchez and hitting coach Rafael Bido, all three of which were key cogs of the Gamblers’ 2022 Landis Memorial Series Championship team.

Boone, 41, was the #1 overall pick of the 2015 BBA Amateur Draft by the Yellow Springs Nine, playing five seasons with Yellow Springs before signing a contract with the Atlantic City Gamblers in free agency. Boone would play with Atlantic City for 10+ seasons before being traded to the Las Vegas Hustlers, where he played for 2+ seasons. He finished his BBA career playing the 2034 season with the Des Moines Kernels. Boone spent the 2035 season with the Las Vegas Hustlers Class-AAA team – the Milwaukee Choppers – before announcing his retirement on 11/6/2035. Boone finished his BBA career 239-156 with 2 saves in 5 opportunities (.400 success rate), a 3.58 ERA, a 1.19 WHIP, a 3.61 FIP, a .260 OAVG, a .596 QS%, 2,865 strikeouts, and a 73.2 WAR in 3,628 1/3 IP (572 appearances, 488 starts). Boone was a five-time All-Star (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2025) and one-time Steve Nebraska Golden Arm Award winner (2021).

“I’m beyond excited to introduce Mingo Boone as the pitching coach of Rookie Class Albany. António advised us that Mingo was his first choice and a ‘no-brainer’, that he had spoken to him and assessed his interest, so we took it from there and moved quickly to get the deal done. Mingo, just like António and Rafael, had a stellar BBA career and we believe his combination of experience and achievement will be beneficial to prospects that we bring to the Atlantic City organization” said GM Joshua Biddle in his introduction of Boone during the introductory press conference.

The Kings Bay Base, Georgia native led off by simply saying “Hey everyone, nice to see some familiar faces” in his cheery, mellow, southern drawl. “It’s going to be good being back in the dugout. I had considered getting into coaching, but wasn’t really in any rush, but António called and said he was putting a staff together and Rafael was on board, so what better group to dive in with? 2022 was great, and that group of guys are glued together forever, so it’s nice getting the band back together.”

António Sánchez said, “look, Mingo is one of the absolute best pitchers I’ve ever been around. It’s exciting, though I’m sure if the pitchers look bad, I’ll get blamed. The fans always loved Mingo.”

To which Mingo replied, “what, they didn’t like you?”

Sánchez replied, “they always liked my home runs, they didn’t always like my comments to the media after a loss.”

One reporter asked, “Did you pick Mingo to sort of balance out the personalities in the dugout?”

Sánchez replied, “No. I mean Mingo and I have a ton of differences in terms of demeanor. I unapologetically wear my heart on my sleeve and I will never mince words with anyone. Mingo is calculated in his public comments without being fake. It’s why the fans love him. It’s why his fellow players love him. He was always one to keep the peace in the clubhouse if there was ever tension. He was a leader by example, but he’d step up when needed without prompting if a situation called for it. That’s why I wanted him. Leadership and accomplishment”.

With the band back together and Rookie Class Albany's staff filled out, their first gig will soon be underway. Let's hope nobody ends up throwing tomatoes.

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”