Boardwalk Empire - 2036.9 - Bido Hired as Hitting Coach of Rookie Class Albany

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Boardwalk Empire - 2036.9 - Bido Hired as Hitting Coach of Rookie Class Albany

Post by Joshua Biddle » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Gamblers, Sánchez Hire Rafael Bido as Hitting Coach of Rookie League Albany

The Atlantic City Gamblers officially announced the hiring of another longtime Gambler making a return to the organization that drafted him, hiring former Gamblers’ first baseman Rafael Bido to a deal to assume the role of hitting coach of the Rookie Class Albany Atoms. The selection of Bido as hitting coach was recommended by newly appointed Albany manager António Sánchez.

Bido, 37, was a lifelong member of the Gamblers after being drafted with the 14th pick in the 7th round (188th overall) of the 2017 BBA Amateur Draft. Bido finished his BBA career hitting .262/.367/.510 with 1,366 runs scored, 308 doubles, 55 triples, 493 home runs, 1,376 RBIs, 362 stolen bases in 504 attempts (.704 success rate), and a 50.6 WAR in 7,661 at-bats across fourteen seasons with the Gamblers. During Bido’s prime years, he was a plus-defensive first baseman, though his defensive abilities dwindled in his later years. Bido’s career came to an end prematurely after suffering a ruptured tendon in his finger during the 2033 season, which resulted in further setbacks, ending an opportunity to eclipse 500 career home runs.

At the introductory press conference, Bido stated “Well I got the call from my buddy Antonio and when he calls you answer it. Asked if I was ready to get back to work, and after a bit of sitting around and wallowing a bit on how it all ended, this is going to be fun. It’s going to be great to have a new challenge to be passionate about, and it’s cool it’s going to be with the only organization I’ve known. Antonio's heart as passion was behind some of the most successful seasons in Atlantic City, so it’s great to have that type of personality running the show in Albany. He knows how to win. I know how to win. Let’s get this thing started.”

Sánchez, at the presser, responded to questions about Bido’s selection: “Why wouldn’t I have chosen him? Sure, we’re good friends and were teammates, but I think if you look at the selection objectively, there’s no downside. Bido’s career speaks for itself. I’m confident he’s going to be very effective. If anyone disagrees, wait for it, you’ll see.”

The selection of Bido as hitting coach gives the opportunity for Bido to coach his son, catcher Rafael Bido, Jr., the 16th pick in the 16th round (461st overall) of the 2033 BBA Amateur Draft. Bido, Jr., 20, hasn’t excelled thus far at the Rookie League level, finishing the 2035 season hitting .231/.302/.382 with 17 runs scored, 16 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 14 RBIs, and a 1.4 WAR in 173 at-bats. Bido has shown proficiency behind the plate, which the organization finds valuable, but he’ll likely need to improve all aspects of his hitting approach if he’s ever to become a BBA-caliber prospect.

“Can’t wait to coach my son”, Bido said.

“I’ve known Raffy Junior for a long time, he’d spend some time with us all in the clubhouse, we had to be on good behavior when he was around. Toning it down isn’t easy for me [laughs]. We’re going to treat him just like every other player”, Sánchez said.

GM Joshua Biddle, who introduced Bido, stated “Rafael was a lifelong Gambler during his BBA career, and we hope the same can be said about his coaching career. He has had a tremendous impact on our organization on the field, and we fully expect the same in the dugout.”

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 2036.9 - Bido Hired as Hitting Coach of Rookie Class Albany

Post by RonCo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:34 am

Outstanding
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”