Boardwalk Empire - 2036.8 - Sanchez Hired as Manager of Albany (R Class)

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Boardwalk Empire - 2036.8 - Sanchez Hired as Manager of Albany (R Class)

Post by Joshua Biddle » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:38 pm

Gamblers Hire António Sánchez as Manager of Rookie Class Albany

The Atlantic City Gamblers organization officially announced the hiring of longtime Gambler António Sánchez as manager of the Rookie Class Albany Atoms, officially welcoming one of Atlantic City’s staple players back into the organization. Sánchez, 38, is tasked with being the first manager the majority of prospects will meet as they join the organization, and the team hopes the natural talent and leadership ability he showed in his playing days can translate into success in the dugout.

“It was an easy decision to bring António in as manager of our Rookie League club, and we can’t wait to hand him the keys to Albany and let him get to work with the kids” said general manager Joshua Biddle, “Antonio is someone who represented this organization well for many, many years, and it’s great that we’ll continue to have that luxury with him re-joining the organization for what we hope is also for many, many years.”

Sánchez finished his career hitting .265/.374/.497 with 1,523 runs scored, 455 doubles, 21 triples, 583 home runs, 1,768 RBIs, 7 stolen bases in 21 attempts (.333 success rate), and a 56 WAR in 9,674 at-bats in a career that spanned eighteen seasons -- fifteen of which were with the Gamblers, which includes the 2022 Landis Memorial Series Championship team. Sánchez departed the team following the team’s impressive 2032 season due to financial constraints, though the team reportedly made a late offer which was spurned in favor of a one-year pact with the Twin Cities River Monsters, where he spent the 2033 season. After spending the 2034 season with the Nashville Goats, Sánchez signed a one-year contract with the Long Beach Surfers, and was subsequently traded to the Boise Spuds in June 2035, where he finished his career. Rumors had swirled that Atlantic City engaged in talks with Boise to bring Sánchez back to Atlantic City after announcing his intention to retire, but talks were reportedly unproductive and stalled quickly (“I only comment on facts and certainties, not rumors or conjecture,” Biddle stated at the time).

“I can’t wait to begin my managerial career, and what more logical place to do that then in the place I started my career on the field – the Atlantic City Gamblers organization. I intend to instill discipline in the young players and put them in the best position to succeed and ascend through the ranks. I know what it takes as I’ve been there and had to work from the bottom up after coming over from Venezuela. I’ll provide the model to succeed, then it’s up to them to take it from there.”

In his introductory press conference, questions were asked as to his managerial philosophies: “I’m a bit unorthodox. You know, I have studied a good bit about baseball, always been a student of the game, and I have my own beliefs about what makes a team a winner. I’ve been given full autonomy to run Albany however I wish, so I plan to implement what I think is best and we’ll see what happens.”

Asked about how the temper he displayed in his playing days factors in as a manager: “Oh, I don’t yell or anything anymore. What do you think? [Sánchez grinning, media laughter] Sure, there’s still a degree of heat in my personality. I think it’s good. It’s good for preparing these kids. It’s good for pushing these kids. I am who I am and the front office told me to ‘be me’. That’s what I intend to do. I’m not unreasonable. I’m not going to scream at people for the sake of screaming at people. But we need to develop talent, and we need to win.”

Asked about whether he’ll have say over additional personnel: “Yes. I’ve had preliminary talks with a few that I had on my mind immediately. I think you’ll recognize and be happy with the choices, that’s all I’ll say for now.”

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”