Boardwalk Empire - 2036.7 - Flores Wins FPL Award

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Boardwalk Empire - 2036.7 - Flores Wins FPL Award

Post by Joshua Biddle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:11 pm

David Flores Wins 2035 FPL Platinum Stick Award for LF

Twenty-year old David Flores shined for the Tallahassee Gamblers in the Florida Prospect League, and the performance has officially culminated in winning the 2035 FPL Platinum Stick Award for Left Field. The award is his second Platinum Stick award during the 2035 season, also winning the 2035 CCAS (COL) MLN Platinum Stick Award for Right Field for his performance with the Staples Staples, where he finished the 2035 season hitting .360/.465/.747 with 39 runs scored, 6 doubles, 21 home runs, 46 RBIs, 1 stolen base in 5 attempts (.200 success rate), and a 3.1 WAR in 178 at-bats. He earned All-Star selections in each of his two seasons playing at the college level, which led to the Gamblers selecting him with the 18th pick in the 2nd round (51st overall) of the 2035 BBA Amateur Draft.

Flores finished the 2035 FPL season hitting .352/.379/.688 with 24 runs scored, 11 doubles, 2 triples, 9 home runs, 34 RBIs, 3 stolen bases in 3 attempts (1.000 success rate), and a 1.3 WAR in 125 at-bats. Flores finished first in the FPL in hits (44), total bases (86), and extra-base hits (22). Flores primarily played right field in college, but was given the opportunity to get some reps in left field with Tallahassee, with the Gamblers organization believing he can become proficient defensively at both corner outfield positions. The organization believes Flores is destined to make it to the majors with additional seasoning, assuming no significant injuries, based on his projected solid hitting skills, above average range in the outfield, and excellent outfield arm. Flores hits left-handed pitching better than right-handed pitching, but one flaw scouts note about Flores is a lack of plate discipline. Still, he should be able to protect the plate and has proven to be decent at avoiding strikeouts to date.

Flores was flown in to Atlantic City as part of a promotional shoot for the organization’s 2035 commercial campaign, and was introduced at a press conference, where he discussed his path to the BBA. “I work as hard as I can to help my team, I can’t tell you how many hours I spent in the weight room per day in high school and college, working to keep myself as in shape as possible to help those teams. 2035 was a great year. Had an amazing season personally and helped lead the Staples to their second championship. I just want to continue to play as well as I did for the Staples and help create a winner. The FPL season was great and reminded me of earlier in the year with the Staples. Didn’t quite get it done for a championship, but it was a good group of guys and I’m glad I was able to play with them. I’m sure I’ll see some, or hopefully many, of them again.

Assistant GM Lance Henry and GM Joshua Biddle both attended to presser as well, with Henry stating “We were very comfortable and happy selecting David where we did in the draft. A strong work ethic is something that we expect of players within our organization, but GMs know that it can be a luxury at times with all of the different personalities. David is a ‘down to business’ type, and he’s very serious about making sure he’s as prepared as he can possibly be every time he steps on the field. I can’t wait to see how he continues to progress.” Biddle stated, “David epitomizes the traits this organization desires, and seeing him produce as we had hoped makes us proud. I think he’ll be a Gambler someday and I believe he’ll continue to achieve as he has thus far in his career. He has proven to be a big-game player, and every team needs players like this to be successful.”

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”